Author Topic: Bow-making Blunders  (Read 5957 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Bow-making Blunders
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2017, 07:28:44 pm »
Okay, thought of another one. I was drilling holes in a plank with an electric drill for some bow-related reason and instead of clamping the wood down like any average-functioning human being would do I decided to hold it in my left hand and drill into it with my right. Well, I didn't realize my left hand was directly behind the drill bit and when it went through the wood it went into my palm. I had to put it in reverse to get it out.  :o 
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Online chamookman

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2017, 03:37:07 am »
I know I'm not the only one to do this - cut the string (while braced) with the scraper, while getting close to final taper  O:) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2017, 04:05:03 am »
Done most of the above.
Splitting a little piece of Yew for a temporary knock overlay.... thinks...
I'll just hold the wood in left hand, put the axe on the top and give it a sharp tap on the floor... that'll do it ::)
The axe was V sharp and there was a knot in the wood so it split out and went deep into my finger. Fortunately I had some of those closure strip thingies which held it together and it healed pretty quick. Made me a tad queasy and a lot more careful.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2017, 02:21:11 pm »
I cut string grooves in once that were on the opposite angle of what they should be, tough to hold a string loop that way :) 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2017, 02:55:22 pm »
just the other day for no real reason I stabbed a new x-Acto blade into my finger was cutting some wood to make a measuring jig and went into the finger instead of the wood bled like a stuck pig but no nerve damage

Making miniatures so far I have broken at least four by bending wrong when string them or the other day I was  sanding too hard and it bent backwards and snapped it

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2017, 03:10:07 pm »
I let Pearly use my new nock file the other day.  I got it back in 2 pieces a few minutes later.

For those of you who like to file the string grooves backwards check out this fix that Mississippi Dave used on his bow at the Classic a few years ago.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2017, 05:27:33 pm »
Pertty neat  Clint, looks like he did it on purpose
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2017, 06:19:10 pm »
Ill lock that one away, I plan on doing it again.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2017, 07:31:05 pm »
Outlaw, now you've got 2 new files! One for you and one for Pearl!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb