Author Topic: Hickory bow  (Read 1443 times)

Offline wildcat hunter

Hickory bow
« on: May 26, 2017, 07:36:33 pm »

I haven't completed a self bow for 3 years now. I tried a few but am having shoulder problems ( rotator Cuff X's 2 ). Just getting the bark off is a chore anymore. I have a question on Hickory bows. Do I have to follow the grain on the back ?  Another one what "cut" is best for Hickory EX: quarter sawn OR ?.  I have a desire to complete some bows and would be using my equipment instead of my arms to work the wood, I think shaping the grip should be no problem.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory bow
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 10:22:57 pm »
With summer cut hickory you just peel the bark off and there is your back. No ring chasing and it is the strongest possible back for a hickory selfbow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wildcat hunter

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 06:20:21 am »

OK, thanks Pat, my friend has a saw mill and said he would cut me a few boards when he gets some Hickory in. Thats why I was asking.

Offline Linc

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 07:54:50 am »
When your friend starts to cut the first slab maybe you could have him cut it a couple inches thick. Then you would just need to peel the bark off and viola instant back. As far as boards I do not think it matters whether flat, rift or quarter sawn. I am sure I will find out since I have some hickory boards that I will be working on.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 08:43:12 am »
Don't confuse  board cut hickory with log stave hickory.

With any board the ideal is straight grained stock tip to tip. Any board cut will do. But for 1/4 cuts make sure the EDGE grain is straight.

With log staves of any whitewood including hickory, as Pat said, take off the bark and make a bow.

I like Linc's idea.

More on my site.
http://traditionalarchery101.com

Jawge
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 08:52:41 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline wildcat hunter

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 05:08:33 pm »

OK, Thanks guys, I'll check your website George. Thanks