Author Topic: Arrow Shelf Clearance?  (Read 6211 times)

Offline gfugal

Arrow Shelf Clearance?
« on: May 15, 2017, 07:23:20 pm »
How much clearance does an arrow shelf need to account for so it doesn't foul the shot? The first image is an example of very high clearance in a riser handle type bow. The second is an example of medium clearance. You can see that it goes straight up for a bit before tapering out to the width. The last is one that starts tapering almost immediately. Would one like that foul the shot? It seems it would get in the way of the feathers. But I'm not sure if it does. I would like your guy's input.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline DC

Re: Arrow Shelf Clearance?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 07:28:22 pm »
I believe the clearance is for aiming(so you can see the target) with a more center shot bow. If an arrow is spined correctly it will bend around that.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 07:29:52 pm »
my input is you dont need to cut a shelf,, narrowing the handle is enough,,
some like to cut a shelf,, but if you look at Native american bows, or English long bows etc,
you can see there is really no need,, unless that is just your preference,,  (-S

Offline gfugal

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 07:45:20 pm »
So I wanted to visually see the arrow move out of the way and I remembered a video I saw once. Here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7zewtuUM_0
At 2:35 and 3:15 you can see it moving around the shelf. It doesn't quite clear it though. the father still catches it but it's on the bottom, not the top. So it doesn't look like it should interfere too much since the feathers obviously can't clear the bottom of the shelf anyway. Didn't think of that.
Greg,

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 07:51:20 pm »
if you dont have a shelf,, the feathers wont have to clear that on the bottom,,
your hand is a bit more giving than a piece of wood,, I think giving a softer clearance,, possibley easier to get good arrow flight,, but either way can work great,, I just find shooting off my hand a bit easier to tune,,  :)

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 08:09:01 pm »
I think a fair number of crowded shelves on selfbows likely cause some interference.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 08:44:57 pm »
This would possibly be the best since the feathers it rests on would interfere with it less than the shelf or hand, plus have the advantage of being more center shot than just a narrow handle with no shelf. Ideally, the situation later in that video with the falling shelf on the compound would be the best. But at what point does these "ideal" situations overstepped the "traditional" aspect of archery?
Greg,

Offline loon

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 07:10:18 am »
Need lighter spine arrows with a somewhat wider arrow pass too, making it easier to make lighter arrows?.. And it'll still shoot more than fine if the arrow is tuned and your form is decent. I like 1" wide handles.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 10:37:53 am »
gfugal.....Spotted your subject here and will contribute my version of what works for me.First with all things proper....arrow spine,nocking point,form,release,and follow through I want 0 what I call deflection or obstruction to my arrow as it leaves the string.I've accomplished this with a small dot of horn raised ever so slightly so the arrow rides on less then 1/16" of a surface.Other versions work too.Leather can be used but horn lasts longer and is just as quiet.Your form and nocking point have to be perfect to get a quiet clean noiseless release.Feather spine needs to be tapered smooth on the front also but glued down well enough yet too.I watch my arrow flight very closely to confirm it is good.The hard surface will tell on you by making some kind of noise or the arrow may jump.Not the best but here's the best pics I've got.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:46:57 am by Beadman »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 11:06:25 am »
The arrow only touches the arrow rest or shelf as you draw. Once released the arrow shouldn't touch any part of the bow. Any bow shoots well, no matter if they are cut past center or 1" off center, as long as a properly spined arrow is used.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 11:16:59 am »
DC is correct. Its all about the view from the drivers seat. That's why Olympic bows have 8-9" windows. They hold the bows upright and shoot very long shots, so they need that huge window to "aim". If I cut a shelf in I usually go 2", that's seems to work great for the average joe hunting bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 11:18:18 am »
Correct!!! it should'nt Pat but I've seen on some bows that it does and the arrow will kick.Could be attributed to poor release but have seen it happen with a good release too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 11:19:27 am »
Personally I don't look through the shelf while aiming.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 11:26:10 am »
I don't either, Ed. But gappers have to.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 11:37:19 am »
Ed, there are a lot of things that come into play from poor release to improperly spined arrows to lack of concentration to poor form to all around consistency and more. Form is critical while shooting and should be one of the first things learned. Even though after you've been shooting for a while it seems like ones form went out the window it is still there is your shooting is consistent.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC