Author Topic: Buckthorn Moisture Content  (Read 1211 times)

Offline StumblyRhino

Buckthorn Moisture Content
« on: April 14, 2017, 08:37:10 pm »
Hey Guys,

I floor tillered a couple of the buckthorn staves I cut last fall in order to speed the drying process. They sat the winter in my wood shed, and are currently reading between 4.5% and 6% on the meter. Any chance this is actually too dry for buckthorn, anybody know?

The HHB cut in late November is at 9%, and the hickory cut in July is around 14%, both floor tillered and sitting in the same shed, just as a comparison

Thanks!
Go Badgers!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Buckthorn Moisture Content
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 08:35:45 am »
I would assume its fine. Buckthorn is good bow wood, you will enjoy the bow you get from it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline alcot

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 12:46:54 pm »
Is that the same buckthorn that is considered an invasive pest? I often wondered if it was a good bow wood.

Offline StumblyRhino

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 12:54:21 pm »
Is that the same buckthorn that is considered an invasive pest? I often wondered if it was a good bow wood.

Yes, it is. Rhamnus cathartica, common buckthorn. The good news is anybody who is even mildly aware of such things will be happy to let you cut it off their land.  The bad news is you have to cut or look at about a bazillion of them before you find one with a bow in it.  At least I do.

Thanks, Pearl Drums.  I'll get to tillering.  It waves and snakes all over the place, and I'm a relative novice.  Should be a right and proper adventure. ;D
Go Badgers!