Author Topic: Things my wife says...  (Read 6141 times)

Offline shofu

Things my wife says...
« on: April 12, 2017, 03:18:11 am »
Anyone have a wife/partner/child that spouts humorous or insightful comments about bow building?
Tonight my wife has three great comments about the stave I am working on:
1. "why don't you hurry up and break that bow so you can start a new one?"
2. "you bring that thing to bed to help regulate relative humidity or whatever and that's it..."
3. " you coming to bed or playing with your stick? Might want to check your priorities."

I stayed up and worked on bow. Is that way out of tiller? Hope I am not the only one...
Cheers,
George

Cheers,
George

Offline Ballasted_Bowyer

Re: Things my wife says...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 03:31:04 am »
Maybe she would like to help you...
Acts 10:12-13  "It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice told him, 'Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.'"

Offline arachnid

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 06:34:07 am »
When I'm going to the shop at night, I tell my wife I'll be back in an hour or so... Her response is always - "Yah...right"..

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 07:04:06 am »
Those are hilarious shofu. My wife has mixed feelings I think. On one hand she is very proud of the things I build and tells me so. On the other hand she is kinda jealous about the time I spend building them. She says sometimes she feels like the other woman. Good thing it's not the other woman playing with my stick or she'd leave me in a second. I usually spend a hour or two before or after work. I'm fortunate that I can work on my stuff at the farm shop. When I get home I do all the normal things that make her happy. Mostly fall asleep in front of TV till she calls me to bed. She's a great wife and partner, mother of my children and grandmother of my grandkids. She knows she's the only woman who gets to play with my stick.lol. Hope you can keep yours happy shofu, sounds like she has a great since of humor and that can go along ways.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 07:44:39 am »
I once finished tillering a very snakey osage bow, final sanded it, and brought it in the house, into the bedroom and leaned it in the corner by my side of the bed to keep it safe and dry until I could get the finish on it.

Later I went back in to marvel again at the smooth, curvy lines of the bow and was sitting on the side of the bed running my hand down her lower limb when my wife walked in. "Really? You're bringing them to bed now? You've got some serious issues."

Not much has changed  :-\
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 09:19:44 am »
These are too funny! I'll tell my wife I have to run out to the shop for a minute, and she'll say "ok...see you in a couple hours."

Eric
Eric

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 09:30:03 am »
Better than a bar stool. I know that's an old one, but it still holds true. At least she knows where I am and that I'm sober.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 09:42:40 am »
Better than a bar stool. I know that's an old one, but it still holds true. At least she knows where I am and that I'm sober.
Very true Pearl, all my hobbies keep me off that bar stool. I think as a married couple were both happy. If I was around all the time she'd just ask me if I didn't have something else to do.lol.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Stoker

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 09:57:13 am »
My only saving grace is when she comes to the shop and brings something from her daycare to be fixed it gets TOP priority.. She comes and sits in the shop sometimes and just talks..
Pearl drums- She feels the same way
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 12:37:13 pm »
flintknapping thumb bleeding
" do you need a band-aid or you'll put some T-rex dung on it?  "    >:D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 02:03:29 pm »
.....Do you really need all that wood?   I hear that every spring.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 02:26:47 pm »
My wonderful wife did all that for awhile. Now she stops by the door and ask if I am hungry and brings me a plate if I am . Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 02:48:15 pm »
My wife gave up after almost 30 years of building wood bows. One reason I keep my shop messy is because she won't come down there. The dust makes her allergies kick up. She's an artist and has her own mess and spends lots of time on her projects so she really doesn't have room to gripe.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline freke

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 03:04:50 pm »
.....Do you really need all that wood?   I hear that every spring.

My wife  say the same:)

I have heard it from my wife, girl friends and friends and compound shooter many jokes like...
-it is a Robin Hood hobby for kids,
-primitives bows can't hit a barn door from inside

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 03:07:43 pm »
When/if I get far enough along tillering a bow, I begin shaping the handle.
I always bring it in the house for Carol to feel.
She always remarks how comfortable it feels in the hand and its just the right size.
I know they all feel the same to her.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857