Author Topic: Question on steaming yew  (Read 2044 times)

Ruddy Darter

Question on steaming yew
« on: April 06, 2017, 03:54:46 pm »
Hi,
I'm hoping tomorrow to have a try at steaming out a slight twist and adjusting string alignment at the same time on a yew bow that's ready for tiller. The spot I'm hitting with steam would be easier if I have the back of the bow facing the ground, so the heat will be rising through the sapwood first , is it OK to steam this way? I thought I'd just check beforehand.
(I'm wrapping where I'm steaming with clingfilm and making a steam trap with tin foil).
Thanks for any advice,

R.D.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 03:59:49 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline PatM

Re: Question on steaming yew
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 04:03:14 pm »
Trapped  steam is not selective. ;). It's all or nothing.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 04:07:42 pm »
So ok to do, I  thought there may be some unforseen problem steaming this way, I'll crack on with it then,  thanks PatM.   8)

R.D.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 04:12:19 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 04:47:02 pm »
It won't matter steam away. I usually put a little rag on the edge of the pot so the
back of the bow isn't resting directly on the pot.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 05:05:33 pm »
Thanks wizardgoat, I got a steam paint stripper with hose I'm going to do a test run with, all going well I hope to be able to isolate directly the sections I want to steam. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out.

R.D.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 05:28:36 pm »
You can steam with a plastic bag if you have a steamer. Google "steaming with a plastic bag". I use bags almost exclusively. They work very well. I use bread bags. The only caution, other than steam is hot, is to make sure the painted/dyed side of the bag is out. The dye will stick to the bow. I have a bow with a blue stripe :-[ :-[

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 05:38:32 pm »
Thanks for the tip DC, I got plastic shopping bags of differing sizes. And I'll watch out for the staining.  8)

R.D.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 06:16:10 pm »
Oh, and make sure the steam can flow freely. I cut a small, say 6mm hole. and once the steam is flowing as well as it;s going to I slightly enlarge the hole until the bag just stays inflated. It's probably wise to wear gloves. I've just passe my hand past the exhaust hole and burn my hand. Again, rule No1, steam is hot.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 06:26:09 pm »
OK, that's great DC, thanks for those tips. I'll be doing all I can not to burn myself. I'll get it all set it up in the morning and hope to work outside if weather allows. This steamer is a bit of a cheapy but looks OK, it's 2000w and I can use it for up to 80mins.

R.D.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 06:30:00 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 06:45:27 pm »
What about using dry heat from a heat gun? All the yew I have done heat correction, on I've used dry heat and it works great. It's also much easier to pinpoint where you place the heat vs steaming.
Eric

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 06:53:39 pm »
My heat gun packed up the other day, and I think steaming gets it supple without browning or hardening the wood and you can keep the heat on for longer, it's quite a thick mid limb section on an English warbow I need to manipulate. I've yet to try steam myself and keen to give it a go also.  :D

R.D.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 10:53:35 am »
How long to leave after steaming, couple if hours OK?

(Twist proved a little tricky, so I just went for better string alignment, so far looking successful).

R.D.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 11:05:17 am »
Depends on how thick it was and how long you steamed. Basically, how hot was the center. I would say a couple of Hours absolute minimum. It has to be dead cold, back to room temp.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 11:08:40 am »
I gave it a good hour under steam. Thanks D.C., I'll have to pack up this evening but should have 3hrs+cooling off.

R.D.

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 11:12:44 am »
Aim a fan at it if you have one. I really speeds it up.