Author Topic: ERC success to explosion ratio  (Read 2997 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

ERC success to explosion ratio
« on: April 04, 2017, 07:40:13 pm »
Just wondering about people's experience with ERC. I know some folks like it and others won't touch the stuff.

I'm curious, of those of you who have built a successful bow with it, what's your ratio of success to explosion?

Mine is one success (sinew backed) to 5 explosions.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: ERC success to explosion ratio
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 07:54:21 pm »
I had one blow and one fold, top and bottom limb together.
 I will give their explosions a 98 out of 100 though!   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 08:11:52 pm »
I had one blow and one fold, top and bottom limb together.
 I will give their explosions a 98 out of 100 though!   :OK

Nice! Nothing blows up like ERC!  (--)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 08:21:58 pm »
Love the stuff but not for bows, not for me anyway. explosions- a lot, successes- big fat zero!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 08:36:04 pm »
So far so good. I've only used it on my handles.lol. It sure is pretty though and smells oh so good
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline gfugal

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 09:02:27 pm »
Never worked with the stuff, but I have worked with Juniper. I'm guessing that its like juniper in that it's more elastic in compression than tension, therefore the back tends to give fairly easy making it difficult to make a self-bow. If it's backed with something like sinew it should turn out but that's just me theorizing.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 09:06:37 pm »
Dave, I love it too. I just can't decide to try for another bow or not.

BJ, Ahh yes. The smell is stupendous. Bet those are some pretty handles.

gfugal, never worked with any juniper other than ERC. I wonder how different they are from species to species.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 09:09:36 pm »
My ratio = 1 attempt to 1 success....  I made the bow about 74 inches long, hit my target weight of 30lbs, and made the limbs 1 and 3/4 wide at the fades. It was a straight and clean stave, sapwood back and heart wood belly.  Everyone in my group of bow builders is so scared of the stuff, they cringe every time I draw it back.  I think I will pike it two inches at a time and keep drawing it until I get a proper explosion on video or a hunting weight bow.. (--)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 07:10:12 am »
I'm 2 for 2.  One 56" rawhide backed bendy, 35# only drawn to 24".  The other a 54" bendy, sinew backed (3oz), 50# and drawn to 28".

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 07:17:30 am »
   I have had good success with light bows around 35# but 100% failure with 50# or over. They usually last about 50 to 100 shots.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 08:59:22 am »
1 out of 4 success.The one is a stiff handled 68" 2" wide D/R maple backed of about 45#'s@ 28".Fantastic explosions though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 10:06:52 am »
So far I'm 1 and 1. A light weight sinew backed molle that held up and shot well. And a maple backed warbow that exploded before being bent to brace. I think that one let go due to a faulty glue line. There was a void in the center I didn't see.  And I didn't realize the maple had curly grain until after it exploded. It was a nice explosion,, but I feel like black cherry gives it some good competition for which explodes better. I have a video of that black cherry warbow exploding saved in my phone that I can't figure out how to post. I have two more ERC in the works. A long D belly self bow and a long wide ainew backed. I just have to get around to making them bend.

Kyle

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 11:05:16 am »
I'm in the process of building a ERC Warbow that's 81" long and  unbacked going for a 100# or so. I will post when I'm done! It's based on Del's elm Warbow dimensions.

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 11:16:03 am »
link=topic=60230.msg839392#msg839392 date=1491398164]
I'm in the process of building a ERC Warbow that's 81" long and  unbacked going for a 100# or so. I will post when I'm done! It's based on Del's elm Warbow dimensions.
[/quote]if it survives the tillering pulley.

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 05:15:40 pm »
Here she is still to thick and I need to get the back to a single  ring. I thinned the sapwood, now to reduce the belly to get it around 50/50 and at the Elm warbow specs.. Not trying to hijack your thread Jeff but I had this hankering to try it out and the perfect stave for it. I cut it 6 months ago so I"m not rushing it.