Author Topic: Back ring violation?  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Morgan

Back ring violation?
« on: March 20, 2017, 11:42:52 pm »
What constitutes a violated back? I was scrapping cambium off of a hackberry stave and nicked the wood on the back. Wasn't very deep at all, and I scraped it smooth easily. is this a violation, or do you have to cut through the ring? If it is, I'll just rawhide back it, if not I'll leave it as is. Tried to get a picture but you can barely see it in person and doesn't show up in a picture at all.

Offline willie

Re: Back ring violation?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 12:14:32 am »
Good question, as I guess it depends on how deep the violation goes in a proportional sort of way. Is the outer ring very thick compared to the violation? Some hardwood staves have very dense late wood and very soft earlywood, while others, may have early and late closer in strength to each other. Its kind of subjective and a judgement call since you have no way to examine the early and late portions separately.

you might be able to tell something from the way the early and late differ, from how they cut or tool on a scrap piece.

I guess since the strains maximize at the surface of the back, a weak, thick or soft earlywood layer close nearby to the surface is a place where trouble begins

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 04:06:29 am »
Good question, as I guess it depends on how deep the violation goes in a proportional sort of way. Is the outer ring very thick compared to the violation? Some hardwood staves have very dense late wood and very soft earlywood, while others, may have early and late closer in strength to each other. Its kind of subjective and a judgement call since you have no way to examine the early and late portions separately.

you might be able to tell something from the way the early and late differ, from how they cut or tool on a scrap piece.

I guess since the strains maximize at the surface of the back, a weak, thick or soft earlywood layer close nearby to the surface is a place where trouble begins

Dead on the money!
This is the sort of question experience can answer but how do you get the experience.........by bending that stick! ;)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 07:27:43 am »
A good job tillering will also help spread that stress. I have come to like taking the cambium off with my high pressure power washer. It's fast and leaves back perfect. A few guys have tried the car wash and so far everyone seems happy. ( not sure about the car wash owner)
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 07:37:23 am »
Morgan I don't know how to post the link, but if you search "removing Bark and cambium with power washer " it should bring up a thread that has pictures and explains everything
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DuBois

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 08:43:26 am »
I had the same question a while ago. Not sure how to attach a link but if you search "violated" you will see a lot of good conversation on the subject.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 01:37:57 pm »
  Most of the hackberry I have worked has pretty thick rings. If it is really just a shallow nick as you suggest I wouldn't worry about it too much. A true violation goes all the way through the ring but if I get a deep nick I always chase another one.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 02:39:02 pm »
Thanks guys.
Rings on this piece is pretty thin. The nick was very shallow, I think it may hold, but I may try to back it anyway.  I do need to try a pressure washer. My friend has one and used it to debark the cedar logs in his house and to flesh hides. I ought to just bite the bullet and buy one.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 06:10:38 pm »
 If it's a nagging concern to you raw hide backing is a win win and it adds surprisingly little mass  to the bow !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Morgan

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 08:34:42 pm »
Think I'll pick up some goat rawhide to try. How do y'all finish the hide for waterproofing and to dull it down. Would prefer not to paint it.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 09:54:39 pm »
Back it to be sure but for be it is only a violation if cut completely through into the next ring. It is usually easy to see. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 06:55:37 pm »
I got this raw hide that was probably cured with lye hence the dark color this bow was sealed with tru oil & the raw hide part was not that shinny If this bow had not given up the ghost I was just going to dull it with wax ! The dark raw hide I believe I got from Mike at Pinehollow long bows you might try there if your dont want to paint or stain .
If you fear failure you will never Try !