Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 3340 times)

Offline benp

Introducing myself
« on: March 19, 2017, 01:20:48 pm »
Well first off I'm Ben from Northeast NC and I've been browsing the site for a few days, stumbled on it by cutting up a dogwood tree a few days ago with plans to make some turkey box calls and started searching other uses for it since I have several other logs in the woods to go get. As a kid we would find hickory saplings and make bows but nothing impressive so now that I found this place it's really get me stoked to make one or two.

My woodworking experience goes to duck decoy carving. And am a member at workingdecoys.net but the terminology for ducks and that part of tree is different.

So my first question, and I'm sure the info is here since I found a couple threads that talk about it, but the terminology used for bows is quite overwhelming for someone that is very green to this sport.
So if there is a thread that has please post it and if not could someone make a list of words and definitions because talking about tilling and reflex/deflx and other words has me scratching my head.

Thank you for tolerating the newbie question and look forward to learning a new thing here.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 01:29:28 pm »
Ha!  Then you have come to just the right spot at just the right time!  If you can make a box call for turkey hunting, you can make a bow.  And the arrows.  And any of the hundred other things that we fool with around here!  You got this, mac!

To start with, tillering is another word for frustrating yourself by chasing away the flat spots in the curve of the limbs as they are being bent.  Once you have your stave (as soon as the log has been split it becomes a stave and stays a stave until such time as it can throw an arrow...then it is a bow) split/sawn/chopped/hacked down to the basic dimensions of the bow you want, you begin to "tiller" the limbs.  You push and pull on the limbs, looking at how it curves and bends.  If there is a spot that is bending too much, you leave it alone!  Any part that doesn't bend gets scraped on until such time as its bend matches the rest of the limb and both limbs have similar "tiller" or curve.

Reflex is the limb bending outward and away from you (as you hold it in your hand) and deflex is the opposite, where it bends inward and toward you.  The inside of the curved limb is the belly and the outside is the back.  Think of it as your torso bending, got it?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 01:32:00 pm »
Welcome here on board!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 01:32:08 pm »
Welcome .....and that is a good point about the terminology.  I don't remember one specific thread, good idea, start one with some terms/words you need to know.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 01:49:36 pm »
I found a glossary of terms back in the archives.  Some of the terms may or may not have evolved, but here's a good start if you can stand dry reading in this format!  Click or copy and paste the link below.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,978.0.html
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 02:11:44 pm »
I think Two things most important are that the "back" of bow is the side that face the direction of arrow flight. When bow is drawn it is under tension stress(it's trying to pull fibers apart) "back" of bow should have the same growth ring unviolated from tip to tip. This really helps it tension capacity.

The "belly" of bow is side that faces your belly. It is under compression stress when the bow is drawn. You carefully remove wood from belly to make the stave bend in a nice even arch. spreading out all the stress as evenly as you can. This is called "tillering" the bow and is a true art form requires a good eye to see what's bending and what's not. Those are absolutely a must to know terms the others you'll pick up. I think I saw a Glossary somewhere here that Marc. Posted. Good Luck and welcome to PA
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 02:50:18 pm »
Welcome from a fellow North Carolinian, benp. I live on the other end of the state.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 03:23:04 pm »
Welcome benp.Your curiosity will be solved.Many helpful people on here.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Scottski

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 03:47:14 pm »
Welcome. By the way it gets addictive, lol!
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 04:10:37 pm »
Welcome I just did a quick google search for bow building terminology & found a lot of glossaries but I can not post a direct link per our rules , If you feel comfterble  enough to post your questions  you will get a lot of answers here.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline benp

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 04:47:10 pm »
Thanks everyone. Nice warm welcome, and seems to be a very active forum so I'm sure any questions I have will be answered

Okay here is one I didn't see right off hand in that link posted.
What is a dog leg?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 04:53:30 pm by benp »

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 04:57:22 pm »
Welcome to PA
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Morgan

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 06:27:22 pm »
Welcome! You say you want to make a bow or two, but I bet the first time you shoot an arrow from a bow that you brought to life from the log it was born from, you will be hooked. Be warned, building a bow can be very frustrating and At some point you will fail, but it is a very rewarding feeling when you succeed, more so than any other pastime I have had.
A dog leg as I know it is a crook in the limb, or center of the bow or stave that resembles the shape of a dogs leg. Like a snakey bow resembles a snake.

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 06:51:10 pm »
Welcome to the PA!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 07:41:27 pm »
Welcome Ben.  Make your way to the Tennessee Classic in a few weeks and you will get all the information and hands on training you can handle.  :-D