Author Topic: Degreasing back sinew?  (Read 3158 times)

Offline Aaron H

Degreasing back sinew?
« on: March 19, 2017, 09:24:25 am »
Say you got some deer back sinew from a processor and by the time you got it, it was already dried, along with some fat that was still attached.   How do you go about cleaning it and degreasing it if your plan is to back a bow with it?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Degreasing back sinew?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 09:43:01 am »
Like most say I guess.Some soaking and dawn dish washing soap.Then left to dry flat again before using it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 09:44:24 am »
I've never done it like that always just did my own. I would think you could rehydrate. Then scrap off clean. I think some guys even use soap and rewash multiple times. Maybe someone else will jump in here
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 09:56:56 am »
Just before I begin to add sinew to a bow I wash it in Dawn dish soap, like Ed suggested, rinse it well then degrease the bows back by washing it with Dawn dish soap and rinse with boiling water. I wash the sinew not only to degrease but also to rehydrate if first before adding it to the bow. By wetting the wood I think it allows the glue a vehicle to help it get into the wood with the first sizing.
Use warm water to rinse the sinew but boiling water for the bow back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 11:56:46 am »
So you're saying that when you are rehydrating the sinew in preparation for the hide glue, you have dawn dish soap in the water?
Sorry if this seems like a basic sinew question.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 12:00:45 pm »
He rinses it well.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 12:03:55 pm »
I have never rinsed my sinew with soap , but I am going to try that next time,, :NN

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 12:21:17 pm »
I'll take the sinew I'm going to use and add Dawn and work it in my hand then rinse it in warm water. I scrub the bow back with Dawn anf rinse with boiling water. Since I started doing this I haven't had the sinew lift anywhere on the bow. Before doing this I had sections od sinew "pop" up in a solid sheet.  It may be over kill but the proof is in the pudding.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 12:27:59 pm »
Ok, I have just never used back sinew, it seems much more greasy than leg sinew.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 12:28:04 pm »
I believe that's a good idea to wet the bows back first before sizing and sinewing Pat B.Makes sense to me.Brings the nap up of the wood so to speak after wiping excess water off.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 12:30:20 pm »
Yea Aaron it's that darn tallow.Dawn will get rid of it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 12:53:41 pm »
I agree as all above. Sometimes I will even pull apart all back sinew soak them in water then wash them with dawn dish soap and rinse them in very warm water. After I rinse them I will come them out and let them dry out. 

Your right though Aaron back sinew is a lot more greasy than leg sinew. I like to try and save back sinew for wrapping instead of backing bows. 
Northern Ute

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 01:03:02 pm »
Thanks everyone
Marlen, I have a lot of back sinew at the moment and it's much easier to break down than leg sinew.   :OK

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 01:05:55 pm »
I try to use back sinew for wrappings or strings, because of the grease, and in my experiences I can get a smoother backing with leg sinew.
I've heard of guys using a bit of lye in the water, but I've never tried it. I do like PatB, I process it all, and then wash my bundles in dish soap

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 01:35:20 pm »
I hear you Aaron it is easier to pull apart than leg sinew. I have back bows with back sinew when I didn't have enough leg sinew. I have noticed back sinew needs to soak longer than leg sinew to get it to lay down smooth. I let them soak over night that usually does the trick for me.
Northern Ute