Author Topic: Sinew Processes ?  (Read 31516 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Sinew Processes ?
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2017, 09:22:54 am »
Here are 2  sinew bows that I made using Jim Hamms method I temember posting on the first one saying it looks like crap & PatB told me not to worrie about it if it shoots good dont worry then the big blob of ugly looking sinew cured & it turned out smooth I really have to think Patb & others that encouraged me back then because I thought it was a complex thing that turned out pretty simple but had no idea before I did it !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2017, 09:36:56 am »
It can look like heck just after applying. :BB
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2017, 09:48:16 am »
Like the posterior of an infant.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2017, 10:16:20 am »
Pretty smooth Pat.Love the looks of that birch bark but some put thick enough birch bark on to negate any blemishes too,but I'm sure it is'nt the case here though.
One thing about using this sinew though and no bad intentions intended here, but a person should learn to tiller a bow good before using it on bows and not to use it as a crutch just to get a serviceable bow.In fact it'll enhance the service of the sinew too I think to some degree that I can't prove.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2017, 10:19:58 am »
That's actually one single layer. Basically like a layer of paint.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2017, 10:24:18 am »
Cool.....I'm able to get it that thin too.Actually almost as thin or thinner then a sheet of paper really.I feel it'll stlll do the waterproofing just as well yet.Depending on the paper but paper is usually only 10/1000's inch thick???
BowEd
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2017, 10:24:41 am »
How many grains of sinew is that Patm ?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2017, 11:22:42 am »
Stick Bender,, I do know Jim,, and I made my first decent bow with him in Texas 20 something years ago,, by that time he was not making bows for sale,, or even making sinew bows anymore,,, he was teaching workshops and making mostly self bows,, mine is still shooting and I used it to elk hunt with this year,,I have made a lot of bows in that 20 year time, and nothing out shoots the bow I made back then,,  as far as his sinew process,, I follow it roughly, ,and thats how I started, cause I could call or email him as I learned how to make a sinew bow, he was always generous with his advice and I owe a lot of my bow making skills to his patience and advice,, his process is definitely a good starting point,, with good basic technique,, that you can't go wrong with,, :-D. and I would say is based on his knowledge of Native American techniques,,

Offline PatM

« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2017, 12:04:41 pm »
How many grains of sinew is that Patm ?

I could not tell you that. "About" three layers .

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2017, 12:24:15 pm »
PatM... now that's what I'm talking about!  That's some smooth arsed sinew right there... I like it!

Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline willie

« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2017, 12:23:32 pm »
Can anyone point to the jim hamm method of sinew application? Is it in TBB series?

Comparing sinew and hide glue to modern composites and ratios may be helpful in principle, but each materiel has it's own  techniques and working requirements

Offline PatM

« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2017, 12:39:51 pm »
It's in his book. It is the same method you will find in pretty much every sinew tutorial out there.

Keep in mind sinew and hide glue are likely the only instance of the fiber and glue being essentially the same thing. 

Offline willie

« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2017, 12:52:23 pm »
Thanks Pat,

Can you recall which book?, he has published quite a few.

Offline PatM

« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2017, 01:22:23 pm »
Bows and Arrows of the Native Americans.
The chapter in TTBB Volume 1 covers it again.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2017, 01:23:54 pm »
Ed there is no question in my mind if your looking for a performance oriented sinew application Adam's is by far the best method ,pretty is as pretty dose but Bob Jims book is Bows & Arrows of Native Americans I believe I will look when I get home. I dont see why Hamms method combined with Adams wouldnt work I personaly will go for performance over cosmetic every time  but really no reason you cant have both with what ever method !