Author Topic: Buko's Bow  (Read 2582 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Buko's Bow
« on: March 02, 2017, 01:15:34 pm »
Trying to get a few bows posted here. I finished this one up just after Christmas. It's for my youngest son who got the nickname Buko from one of the old timers we hang out with. It's just a plain bow nothing fancy. It was a pretty kinky snaky piece of winter harvested HHB. I left a bit of the cambium on. It was a bit tricky to tiller and might look a little odd but the side profile does to. I used zero heat on this one just tillered it out the way it was. It's a lefty so my form isn't great but I actually got pretty decent shooting left handed.
64" ntn 45@25" some stain and 4 coats of tru oil.
Thanks for looking
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 01:20:25 pm by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Buko's Bow
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 01:17:13 pm »
Some more

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 01:18:58 pm »
The rest

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 01:22:49 pm »
I like it! What some of y'all do with those snakes staves is amazing to me. I wouldn't know where to start splitting them much less layout and tillering. Well done

Offline willie

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 01:42:29 pm »
like what you have done with the HHB,  Brogg

I have always wondered if tillering with the roller-coasters left in, makes for a better bow in the long run?

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 01:45:03 pm »
Handsome.  I need to get on the stick.

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 02:07:08 pm »
Very nice looking bow!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 02:29:16 pm »
Really nice natural looking type bow with character.Great job.If you don't look out Buko will be in a stand next to you with that one this fall.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 02:31:17 pm »
Very nice job with this one. I know how tricky it can be when there's irregular contour viewed from the side profile, but your full draw shows an awesome tiller. That takes skill, and you've got it my friend!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 02:51:47 pm »
Thanks Morgan, splitting and laying out really wasn't problem. Tillering was tricky. I'm sure it looks like set out of the one limb but I had very little set on this bow, that was just its shape. Thanks Thanks Willie, I don't know if it makes a better bow or not but if I'd tried to straighten it probably would have pulled out anyway, so maybe.
Thanks Springbuck, Thanks Joe
Thanks Ed, nothing would make me happier than to have him sitting next to me and harvesting a deer with his bow. He can take the left hand shoots, but he's got a lot of practicing to do yet.
Thanks Jeff, but I'm still a long way from being that good. Just trying to figure this all out and learning what I can. By the way I got your package yesterday, thanks much for the cherry bark. I'll have to get a bows going for it.
Thanks everyone
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 08:37:18 pm by bjrogg »

Offline rps3

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 04:23:45 pm »
I love seeing hhb bows, especially since that wood has caused me more grief than any other. I have broken more of them than not.

Cool nick name and bow.

Offline Hans H

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 04:55:39 pm »
nice, good Job on that stick
Hans
Hans,      Bavaria, Germany

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 09:09:00 pm »
Well I think you're certainly figuring it out. Don't know why but many HHB bows I've made have had something wonky going on near the handle. It's tripped me up every time except once. I think what's impressive about this one is that you were able to see the "big picture" of the tiller without nitpicking too much over that area. IMO the full draw pic illustrates that perfectly.

Glad you got the bark. Never seen it on HHB. Bet it will look sweet.  ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 09:56:33 pm »
Thanks rps3, I guess almost all the bows I've made so far are HHB. I did make 2 from white ash. I like the HHB better. Started on a Elm today, see how that goes.
Thank You Hans I appreciate the kind words
Thank You Jeff, I really took my time tillering this one. I tried to get it all moving. It really does try to trick you when they are roller coasters like this one. I didn't try to get to much from this one but it ended up a nice shooter and flings a arrow pretty good.
Bjrogg

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 05:00:08 pm »
Nice work, good lookin stik.... i'm sure your boy will love it
DevilsBeachSelfbows