Author Topic: Knot in fade  (Read 1456 times)

Offline DC

Knot in fade
« on: February 26, 2017, 06:57:23 pm »
This is Douglas Maple, very much like Vine Maple. I have this knot right in the middle of the fade. Unfortunately I cut the other fade first or I could have moved the handle a bit. Anyway I have left enough extra width but it's kinda unsightly having extra width right at the handle. There is 5/8" solid wood from the back to the bottom of the hole. I've cleaned out the knothole and will fill it with epoxy and sawdust probably. At the moment the hole is also 5/8" deep but that will get reduced as I tiller. I think the limb will be just over 1/2" thick so I don't expect to remove all the knot but it will be close. The grain goes out and around the knot so I would be cutting through the grain. Do you think I could get away with almost ignoring the knot?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 07:00:36 pm by DC »

Offline Hamish

Re: Knot in fade
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 07:08:57 pm »
 If it was my stave, I would clean out the hole of any loose bark, and carve out a dowel from scrap and plug it all up with a good slow settting epoxy.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 07:13:50 pm »
I would leave it hollow and pretty much ignore it or leave a little swell around it.  You shouldn't get much if any bend there if that was my bow.  But I'm used to osage.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 07:15:09 pm »
I've done the dowel thing on the side of a Yew bow and it worked great. Not sure about belly side but since it's on the fade I'm sure it would be fine.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 08:40:04 pm »
A dowel would be a little extra insurance, but that far into the fade/handle I wouldn't expect a problem. Keep us posted.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 09:24:37 pm »
By the time you guys suggested a dowel I had already filled it with epoxy/sawdust mix. I've always been a little suspicious of a dowel in that situation. The grain of the belly is running lengthwise and if you put a dowel in the hole the dowel grain is 90 degrees to the belly grain. I've always been afraid that it would crush but in this location it probably would have been fine. What I am mostly wondering about is how much can I reduce the width. OO said leave a little swell around it. Right now the swell is the width of the limb plus the width of the knot. Do you think it would be safe to reduce that.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 09:39:05 pm »
Here is one I did a while back.  The knot is a little bigger than yours and a little farther out of the fade.  I followed the grain around it and made it the bottom fade.  I try to add extra width around a knot instead of thickness.  I let the grain lines determine how much extra width is needed.  I've never filled or plugged a knot hole.  I like the natural look of them. 

There was a smaller knot in the upper fade that didn't go all the way through.  I just ignored that one since it wasn't bending. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 12:00:48 am »
Nice bow!  If my knot had gone all the way through I wouldn't have asked the question :D :D :D

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 11:00:15 am »
It should be fine as that area generally does not bend, DC, unless you tiller it to bend. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!