Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 bow trade sign up closed, reserves needed though  (Read 19757 times)

Offline cabinetbowguy

Re: Fred Arnold 2017 bow trade sign up - list on page 3 updated daily
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2017, 05:21:10 pm »
Well i got a desgin picked out its gonna be a elb .. not sure on wood type yet mostlikely a lamated bow :)
Amen

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2017, 05:13:21 pm »
Bump. Running out of time

Offline PatM

« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2017, 05:19:24 pm »
Should have left it open a bit longer. Spring will boost the enthusiasm and optimism of better working conditions for many.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2017, 07:08:35 pm »
I'm okay with extending sign ups for another week if it may double the participants.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Gaur

« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2017, 09:09:06 pm »
Well I have enjoyed being involved in past trades

RH a little over 50# @ 28"

Minnesota like DeBois

I say leave it open another week or two Sept is still a long ways off
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2017, 12:53:09 am »
You really don't need specs for your build until the second half of it anyway.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2017, 04:42:50 am »
Should have left it open a bit longer. Spring will boost the enthusiasm and optimism of better working conditions for many.

I don't have a problem with that. No harm in one extra week, but not sure I want to have the sign-up running for a month.

If we did start later, then we'd need to move the finish date too, so what about extending completion date to last day of September.

OK, so sign up to run until midnight Pacific time on Friday March the 17th, end date  September 30th
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 05:53:58 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2017, 05:51:34 am »
Stickinthemud: Thanks for the welcome.

I don't have much experience making bows but I have been woodworking for a long time. I have several oak staves from a tree that fell in my yard a few months ago, and several more from another hardwood tree which fell about the same time. They should be workable by this spring. I also have Apple trees and walnut in my back yard plus several acres of oak, pine, ERC, poplar, and others I don't recognize which I can get staves from. Of course, I realize some of those woods would need to be backed to make a good bow. Can you recommend which woods I named would make good bows?
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Hi Red Arrow, all of them!  All the timber you listed makes good bows, I am really jealous.  The build thread is now active, might be a good idea to post this over there  :D

Offline Red Arrow

Will do. Thanks
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Hi Gaur, nearly missed you there! Glad to have you involved, hope you have as much fun this year :D

Offline PatM

I'm close to taking the plunge. Just need to source some more sinew. Never have enough of the stuff.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
OK everyone, Spring has sort-of arrived. The birds are singing and daffodils are bloomin' everywhere, time to tiptoe to the wood-pile, dust off the tools and join in the Trade!  We have 15 signed up so far with a wide range of experience from a couple of beginners to some of the best known names on the forum. This is only half last years numbers so, come and join in the fun, what've you got to loose - its a 6 month build time!  Seven days left til sign-up closes, count-down is beginning, no more extensions  ;D
 :-K :BB  :NN :OK - loving the new emoticons - fail, practice, nail it! ;)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Exciting news!  someone who wishes to remain anonymous has contacted one of the trade members with some incentives to be passed on through the duration of the trade. All very mysterious and totally fantastic. So, every now and then, there will be a random draw of all active trade members and someone very lucky will get something very nice just for being involved.
I would like to take time out to say heart-felt thanks to the benefactor for their incredible kindness and generosity.

All right come on, lets make this the best trade ever, you still have a few days left to sign up!

Offline DuBois

PatM, if sinew is all it's gonna take to get you in this then I have some for ya!