Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 bow trade sign up closed, reserves needed though  (Read 19776 times)

Offline Sabb

Re: Fred Arnold 2017 bow trade sign up
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2017, 08:16:14 pm »
Withdrawn
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 01:11:43 am by Sabb »

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2017, 09:12:34 pm »
It is up to the ones running the trade, but if I were you, I would want to make a bow for myself before trying it for someone else. It is harder than it looks, and there are safely concerns as well. A bow trade isn't about getting a shiny new bow, but about making something nice for someone else. My recommendation is  watch this one. Work on your own bow with lots of help from people on this site, and jump in next year.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2017, 09:41:28 pm »
I'll second what Jeff said. Considering this was your first post.

Do you have any pics of the couple bows you've built? We'd love to see them.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline gfugal

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2017, 12:53:05 am »
Let him post some pics of his bows. If they're shooters i say let him in.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2017, 08:03:38 am »
Thanks guys but we are bound by Fred's rules here.

According to the rules of last year's trade, anyone can join, regardless of experience. There was at least one bowyer who was asked to try again when his work wasn't up-to-scratch last year and this applies this year too which is why we have an adjudication process in place, reserves, and a long, long, build time.  I needed to build four bows before I got my trade bow good enough last year, and I nearly drove some PA members spare with my bumbling efforts to learn about take-downs.

As long as all builders accept that in a random draw we might have a master of the trade receiving a bow off a complete novice, then we're all good.  We all have to build the very best we can and we all have to accept that the bow we receive is the very best bow the builder can make, that is the whole point - this is a learning trade - if you are a master of pyramids and flat-bows, but never built a 5-curve or a hollow-limb then this is your chance to post build-alongs and get plenty of help along the way.

Having said all this, it would be great for anyone not having posted to the forum to post pics of their work so we can assess their skills and give them best advice (incidentally I did check out Green River - wow!) but, anyone and everyone, according to Fred's rules can join, even if they NEVER built a bow before.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2017, 09:19:27 am »
OK, so, here's The List of people who have sent me their stats so far:

TimothyR
Limbwalker
Greenriverwoodcraft
tattoo dave
Swamp Thang
upstatenybowyer
Dakota Kid
gfugal
Cabinetbowguy
Red Arrow
DuBois
Gaur
Bushboy
PatM
High Desert
Penderbender
Wizardgoat

reserves - ty in ND, Mo coon catcher, stuckinthemud

If you have sent me your stats and I have missed you off the list, make sure you let me know

If any of the reserves want to change status we have until midnight Pacific time, March 17th to make our minds up!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:58:37 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Fred Arnold 2017 bow trade sign up - list on page 3
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2017, 10:44:10 am »
Everything looks and aounds good to me. I have a visit with my eye doctor Friday. So I'll have a better idea then on how everything is healing and a better time frame on when I can start excreting some effort. If it will be within te deadline. Then I'll have you bump me into the trade. If it's close then keep me in the reserves. ill keep updated. And if any of the new builders in the trade want to travel to northeast Missouri and need some help. Just pm me, come on over, and I can give you some hands on help. But be warned, I work outside so it's weather dependent. And I do finally have a tree built instead of relying on the truck glass as a mirror for tillering, which is in many tiny pieces at this point.

Kyle

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2017, 12:22:29 pm »
Good Luck with the eye Kyle
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2017, 01:42:09 pm »
Good Luck with the eye Kyle
Bjrogg

+1

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2017, 08:24:36 pm »
I hope all goes well on Friday Kyle!

This will be a fun trade. Looking forward to it guys.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Sabb

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2017, 01:14:46 am »
Didn't want to cause any issues--I'll get some more experience under my belt. Thanks for letting me know.

Sebastian

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2017, 02:47:29 am »
Sebastian, all of us here look forward to seeing anything you make. Some of the most helpful and generous people I have ever met are on this site. Welcome to the PA community.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2017, 01:43:08 pm »
I've been lurking on here for quite a while. Many of my searches took me to the bow trade thread. Where my abilities are now, I wouldn't be comfortable sending someone my work, but now that I'm a member next year I will be getting in on this for sure. This is a very awesome addition to the forum.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2017, 11:40:40 pm »
, and I nearly drove some PA members spare with my bumbling efforts to learn about take-downs.

I remember that struggle, but to be honest... I didn't remember that it was YOU who was having the design issues.  Does that mean you might give a take down a try this year?

Last year's trade was huge. I hope the sign ups pick up a bit. The more the merrier I say, but if it is your first build... just be aware you'll probably have to build multiple bows before you get one that is good enough to send out. I think my third was the one that I sent out and I had a few shooters under my belt at that point.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2017, 05:05:33 am »
I think if we start posting pictures of possible staves and ideas of what we might build people will be encouraged to join in.

If it stops raining (who am I kidding, stop raining in the Springtime in Wales?) I'll go dig through my stash (I actually have some staves this year). Got laurel, ash, yew, holly, blackthorn, apple and hawthorn, mmmm, apple R/d/r take down could be challenging  :D, Mind, the laurel with horn overlays would make a stunning longbow, but then the ash would recurve so nicely, and I still haven't finished a decent Mollie, or I could do a 5 piece mock horn bow like pat's if I leave enough time for the sinew to cure? Argh, can't choose! Dunno what to do but I do know its gonna be great! ;D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 07:37:25 am by stuckinthemud »