Author Topic: grain orientation for boo backed bows  (Read 3266 times)

gutpile

grain orientation for boo backed bows
« on: February 22, 2017, 09:46:22 am »
I just picked up some flat sawn osage boards and have seen few comments about it being bad for boo backed bows. Due to Grain run off...quartersawn is best I know.. my question is can these still make a good bow ?....gut

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: grain orientation for boo backed bows
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 09:54:52 am »
Flat, rift or 1/4 doesn't matter much, grain run outs do. If the grain is straight it will work fine.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

gutpile

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 10:10:13 am »
sweet, I feel better about it .. appears grain runs pretty straight through board.. kinda hard to see on flat sawn...

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 04:19:01 pm »
At least you didn't and up with a board like this:

And it was sold a piece of osage to be backed to make a bow.

:(
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 04:37:12 pm »
Who sold that to you as such, Ty?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 05:00:22 pm »
Well... I got it from 3rivers, which surprised me because I've gotten osage from them before and the pieces were fairly straight grained (the osage I used for the bow I made for Jeff was from them and the grain was nice and straight).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:17:42 pm by ty_in_ND »
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline mxalex229

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 06:00:59 pm »
I just bought a piece of osage from 3 rivers that was just as bad. Grain run offs everywhere, board was completely warped, it wasn't worth firewood. 3 Rivers told me the wood was on sale and it should be expected..... Ordered from Pinehollow to restart, they sent me a gorgeous piece of osage that has grain like a leveling stick, and a 2" x 2" x 10" piece for the handle just as nice. Well worth the extra few bucks. Lesson learned.  8)

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 06:21:00 pm »
 >:(

I've purchased "on sale" osage from 3rivers that was good for bow making (that's why I was fine buying it from them), so that's really a poor excuse.

As far as my board is concerned, the grain is bad, but the board is straight and not twisted, so I think I'll go ahead and just use it for practice.  If I can get a backed bow out of it, great, if not, then it'll be a teaching experience (both in bow building and who to purchase materials from...).  Heck, I might even save it to turn into core materials for trilams or cut it into veneers for making a bow out of "the material that shall be nameless", as it does have an interesting grain on it (waste not, want not after all).

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 07:06:43 pm »
I have made a bunch of BBOs from twisted, tight grain wood with a ton of runouts, never had a failure out of any of them. The bamboo and urac keeps them together.

Matter of fact, if I am making a giveaway BBO it will more than likely have this type of wood in it. I used to call this wood trash osage destined to be a BBO. I have probably made 30 or more with twisted runout wood. There have been a bunch of championships won with these types of trash wood bows that I made, all the way up to the national level.

OK, everyone who has made a BBO out of twisted osage and had it fail raise your hand. What, no hands showing.........

I hate to throw osage away if I can put it to use and BBOs fill the bill.

This is the low poundage BBO I am currently shooting because I had back surgery and I am somewhat incapacitated.

Yep, a BBO with a little runout and about ten years old. When I saw this thread I ran out to the shop and took this picture.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:32:07 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 07:22:16 pm »
That's really encouraging to hear, Eric. Just out of curiosity, did you take any special considerations with your design of a bamboo backed Osage bow using a less than choice piece of Osage vs something with really straight grain throughout the board?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 09:33:54 pm by ty_in_ND »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 07:39:08 pm »
Nothing at all, I make them all the same. All of my BBOs are 1 1/4" wide and between 62" and 66" NTN depending on how long the draw length is of the recipient.

I have had failures from edge grain osage BBOs that had a pin running cross ways on the limb and positioned little too close to the belly, I had one edge grain without pins fail. I don't make edge grain BBOs any more.

I had two straight grain high poundage (75# plus) BBOs fail that I made for a guy with a very long draw length, after #2 went I sent him his money back and didn't make him a third bow.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:46:00 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline loon

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 07:56:27 pm »
Thanks Eric, I may try to rescue my hickory trash bow from ringing rocks with some bamboo.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 08:04:23 pm »
Wouldnt worry much about that board... have gottin worse from 3 rivers and have made fine bows from such
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 08:27:53 pm »
If you guys start endorsing this type of wood  3Rivers will get wind of it and really start testing things.  ;)

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 09:36:46 pm »
If you guys start endorsing this type of wood  3Rivers will get wind of it and really start testing things.  ;)

Boards with huge knots and holes! Then those of us making BBOs can get as close to a character stave as possible.  ;D