Author Topic: It Shoots! It's Alive!  (Read 9360 times)

Kewrin

It Shoots! It's Alive!
« on: March 12, 2008, 01:27:35 pm »
I am doing a happy dance (don't ask to see it).  I have been working on a bow for a few months now.  I shot it yesterday and it is still in one piece.  ;D

Here are the specks:
Osage
#54 at 28" 
ntn is 55.75" 
ttt is 57.75"
about 1.5" of string follow

Here it is strung and at full draw.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kewrin

Re: It Shoots! It's Alive!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 01:31:07 pm »
Now the questions.  I plan on putting some snake skins on it.  Should I put some rawhide on it?  Very short for a long draw.  Insurance might be worth it.  Is there any issues of puting reawhide on then the snake skin on top of that?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 01:35:01 pm »
Nice!  :o

How wide are the limbs?  Any problems with stack?  I'm sure others will give good advice on how to back that sucker with rawhide.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 01:53:32 pm »
I've covered rawhide with snakeskin many times. Those are really short working limbs for such a long draw. Looking at the string angle, I'm betting you're getting a lot of stack toward the end of your draw.
Gordon

Kewrin

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 02:03:52 pm »
It is almost   1 5/8" wide.

Stack is not to bad, it is a steady stack.

Draw  lbs      increase
16"   #16     
18"   #21     5
20"   #25     4
22"   #31     6
24"   #37     6
26"   #45     8
28"   #54     9

jamie

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 02:04:07 pm »
bends look very good but if you were to flip the tips on that sucker youd reduce the stacking you must be getting. its also some what dangerous because with that string angle at the tips you can pull the string off the bow at full draw. add some curve to the tips bring it back down to weight you desire and you will have a real shooter there. bow looks very good otherwise. peace

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 02:14:08 pm »
Kerwin, that is a great first effort. As for the stack, you might think of trying Jamies advice on flipping the tips a bit. After flipping the tips the weight might rise slightly and you could get the wood near the handle working a bit more as it is far too stiff even for a bow much longer. I would consider dropping the weight to around 45#, flipping the tips back a bit and getting the near handle wood working more, it would greatly improve the shooting characteristics. Steve

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 02:35:42 pm »
Kerwin, that is a great first effort. As for the stack, you might think of trying Jamies advice on flipping the tips a bit. After flipping the tips the weight might rise slightly and you could get the wood near the handle working a bit more as it is far too stiff even for a bow much longer. I would consider dropping the weight to around 45#, flipping the tips back a bit and getting the near handle wood working more, it would greatly improve the shooting characteristics. Steve

What do you guys mean "flipping the tips"? Adding recurve?
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 02:37:01 pm »
Kerwin - I bookmarked your bow for March Self Bow of the Month. If you decide to change the dynamics of your bow, let us know.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 02:51:44 pm »
you could get the wood near the handle working a bit more as it is far too stiff even for a bow much longer.

I agree with Badger...not to criticise at all, but the first thing that jumped out at me when looking at the pic's were that the fades were to stiff for a long ways out from the handle. That's a fairly short bow to begin with, but a long draw length at 28". Definitely need to get as much of the limbs bending as possible.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 03:16:23 pm »
Wow!! thats almost bendin 90 degrees! Great effort.Hafta go with what was said above.After seeing your bow I have to agree with Ryan....OSAGE IS BETTER!  :D ::).... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 03:59:18 pm »
Looking good. As Steve says you could get more wood working near the handle.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 04:30:24 pm »
Wow!! thats almost bendin 90 degrees! Great effort.Hafta go with what was said above.After seeing your bow I have to agree with Ryan....OSAGE IS BETTER!  :D ::).... Brian
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Better than what ? ;D....bob

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 04:34:56 pm »
Nice first effort. With a short bow I try to also cut down on the non working handle portion of the bow. If  the stave is too short I'll let the handle bend. That bow needs to bend way more near the handle area. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 05:19:16 pm »
Wow! That full draw pic gives me chills. For a bow that length I would make the handle simi bendy. Except for the non bending fades you did a pretty good job on the tillering. I agree with the advice, flip the tips to gain a little poundage and and get those fades moving.