Author Topic: Holey Dream Bow Started  (Read 6873 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Holey Dream Bow Started
« on: February 15, 2017, 09:24:20 pm »
I've always wanted to make a bow with a big knot hole in each limb.  When I found this tree last winter I could see that bow hiding inside of it.  After some careful and lucky splitting I had the stave how I wanted it.  Right now I'm about 50/50 on if this will end up a bow or an explosion.  I'll enjoy the ride either way.  I cut it to 66" and I'll leave it a little wider than I normally do on an osage bow.  I'm not going for a super fast bow.  I'm hoping for something fun to shoot the 3D courses with.

A few days ago I removed the bark and most of the sapwood.   

Today I cut it down to 1.75" and left plenty of extra width around the knots.  This will make it a little easier to chase a ring.   

The big heart shaped knot is worrying me.  It trails off at the bottom.  It's not really a crack. I can see a thin layer of bark inside of it.  Pretty much the entire working portion of that limb will be split in half.  I'm not sure if it will hold up.

The stave is plenty deep enough.  I'd like to go down several rings to get to a thicker one.  The top 1/4" or so has really thin rings.  I have a feeling getting a clean ring chased on this will be a multiple day adventure.  I will be going slower than usual on this one.  I will bring it to Moontree, The Classic, and Marshall to work on it.  I hope to get some help and add some good mojo to it.   

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline dirthas

Re: Holey Dream Bow Started
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 09:27:56 pm »
Man that's a crazy lookin stave. Looks like about the 5th ring down on the left side of the end grain picture is money?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 09:30:07 pm »
I'm going to have to watch out for Hole in the Bow Chuck at the Classic.  He might try to take it back to his camp.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 09:31:33 pm »
Man that's a crazy lookin stave. Looks like about the 5th ring down on the left side of the end grain picture is money?

I'm going to stop at the first decent ring I can get cleanly chased around those knots. 

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 09:43:20 pm »
Wow Good luck with that Clint, that is  the mother of character staves there bro!  If I make it to the classic I will definately check it out!

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 10:30:42 pm »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 10:31:30 pm »
Dont let hole in the bow chuck walk off with it😁
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 10:35:38 pm »
It's going to take a whole drum Of CA to fill those ;D ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 10:50:05 pm »
This will be fun to watch, Clint. Looking forward to seeing the finished bow at the Classic.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 10:57:46 pm »
I don't think it will be finished by then Pat.  I'll need some eyes on it while tillering.  It won't fit on my tillering tree.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 11:15:28 pm »
A few late night tillering sessions under the bow shed. Wouldn't be a Classic without it.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 11:21:04 pm »
I am planning to be at the TN Classic as well. Hope that makes it to a bow...very cool looking.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 11:35:08 pm »
Hoping its end point is better than the one ya had last year at TN.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 11:45:24 pm »
Yikes!!!Lordy Clint I seen long ago you were cleaning up some holes in some staves but don't remember these.I gotta see this shooting.Good luck.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline RyanY

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 12:20:22 am »
Even if it survives as a bow, will your wrist survive shooting it?! Good luck! I bet that'll be a blast to work on.