Author Topic: Backing for Elm boards  (Read 3563 times)

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
Backing for Elm boards
« on: February 12, 2017, 11:34:56 am »
Hi guys
I discovered a hidden Jem of a joinery yard in my City the other day and they are going to let me have a look through their wood piles next week which includes a number of very nice looking old Elm boards!  :)
I need to drag them out to see what they're like but I'm hopeful there will be some potential bow wood in there. If love is really with me some might not need backing but chances are; so my question for the forum is what is the best backing for elm? (bearing in mind that Hickory is nearly unobtainable in the UK)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline WillS

Re: Backing for Elm boards
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 11:52:55 am »
Bamboo works great over elm.  Hazel is a good backing for most things, too.  I know it's been used to back yew and yew-like laminated bows, so it would likely work for elm also. 

Ash is great as a backing wood, especially with it turned so the edge grain faces up.  Pretty much bulletproof like that.  Wouldn't overpower elm either.

Offline sieddy

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 12:34:05 pm »
Hi Will thanks for the input. I had thought that Bamboo would be too much for elm but great to have as an option. The edge grain Ash sounds like a good idea its easy to find straight grained Ash boards right! But I cant imagine how you would go about using hazel for backing?!  ???
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 01:12:27 pm »
I have backed lots with hard maple, even epe with great results should work great on elm
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sieddy

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 02:40:39 pm »
Cheers Bubby I was thinking about Maple too - but I dont know what kind they have in timber yards here in the uk? I didn't know that ipe could be used as a backing?  ???

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 02:58:34 pm »
have used maple for backing also, but it was edge grained. perhaps someone will comment on if elm boards would work without backing if quarter sawn?

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 03:59:04 pm »
ash works as a backing for elm too , and pretty easy to get in the uk

can you pease explain the Irish proverb at the bottom of your posts....I've been trying to work out what kind of weird Irish logic could extract any meaning from it,,,, ;)

dave

'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline sieddy

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 05:33:32 pm »
Hi Dave thanks for your second vote for Ash. So I should find a dead straight grained Ash board and cut a 5 mm strip off the face or side and glue that up with the Elm?
Sadly to say my Irish proverb don't mean a huge amount to me either i just wanted an Irish/Gaelic quote related to archery. I just take it to mean- one mans waste is another mans profit!  8)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 08:42:29 pm »
As hard as it is to split, I would think elm is one of the best backing woods there is. Unless your board has heavy run-out, why not try it unbacked, or backed with rawhide, or denim, or fiberglass wall board tape?

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 11:35:56 pm »
Cheers Bubby I was thinking about Maple too - but I dont know what kind they have in timber yards here in the uk? I didn't know that ipe could be used as a backing?  ???

Sorry i meant i have used maple on epe not used epe as a backer😉
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sieddy

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 01:58:15 am »
Hi Jim. Right on man- unbacked is definitely my preferred option. Much less hassle and what's the point of finding great wood if you can't use it as is!?!
As I say I don't know what these Elm boards are like but I'll be coming back here with pictures for an opinion when I get too em. (unless I could measure the grain with a ruler!)  8)

Bubby- Thanks for the clarification- I see what you meant now! It's amazing that maple is strong enough under tension to hold a wood as dense as Ipe together!

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 08:41:34 am »
I agree elm is pretty flexible wood and probably be ok without backing unless grain is seriously compramised

ash backing would be better 1/4 sawn and only 1/8" thick max.  IMO

I got lots of ash backings already cut if you want one and dont mind to pay postage

dave
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline sieddy

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 09:30:17 am »
Thanks for the input Dave and yes I'd be very interested to take some Ash backing off you. I'll see how the wood looks and take it from there.
Ta. Si   :)

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 10:28:52 am »
Working on an elm board bow now that I'll be backing with a super thin Bamboo backing.  I'm only going for a very light target bow for a disabled patient on this one, so I've room to play with.  I had thought to use hickory initially, but when I found out how very light the draw weight was going to need to be, I switched up to use the super thin bamboo.  Also, the look of boo as a backing is kind of nice.

One thing I have been very pleased with in using this Elm is how very well it responds to steam and boil bending!  Once it cools off after bending, it seems to LOCK into place to where ever you moved it.  I got nearly no 'give back' off of the caul.   :laugh: :o :)

OneBow
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 04:31:39 pm by Onebowonder »

Offline sieddy

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 11:22:23 am »
Thanks for your input Onebow. That sounds great man- I'll look forward to seeing some pics on here sometime! :)