Author Topic: Sealing staves with glue  (Read 7155 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Sealing staves with glue
« on: February 11, 2017, 09:29:05 pm »
I'm trying to find a lower cost option for sealing staves.  I have always used polyurethane and I'm tired of paying $35 for a gallon it.  Tonight I picked up a gallon of TBII wood glue for half the cost of the polyurethane.  I remember someone saying they watered down glue to seal staves.  Does anyone do this or know the ratio of glue to water?  I would like to get it thin enough to paint on with a brush. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Sealing staves with glue
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 10:08:28 pm »
 Been using hairspray for a long time...Comes off with water, never looked back ;)
                                                                                                                          Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 10:18:42 pm »
Been using hairspray for a long time...Comes off with water, never looked back ;)doesn't that defeat the purpose? I have used tight bond 3 to seal the ends of staves I don't usually debark so don't know about that. But it dries clear and gives a good seal. You can water it down too. Don't know exact ratio, I just make it a decent concistany. Cheers- Brendan
                                                                                                                          Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 10:29:35 pm »
Clint, I've gotten staves before that were sealed with wood glue like TB but I don't know how it was mixed. With the paper mache like my wife does she thins the glue pretty thin. I think she just pours water in until it is the consistency she likes. That's how I did it with the figures I did with paper mache.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 10:34:07 pm »
Sounds like a good idea watering down the glue to use as a sealer.Should do the job.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 11:01:01 pm »
Clint somebody told me they mix it half & half.

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 12:03:52 am »
Titebond is probably overkill and it isn't as easy to clean up as Elmer's glue.

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 03:55:40 am »
Buy PVA glue that they use in construction as a general purpose sealer/adhesive.
It is cheap as chips and you just mix with water until its the consistency you want. Obviously the thinner you go the less of a good job it does at sealing though. I just use it as is. Very effective stuff.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 03:59:39 am »
Clint - Always used watered down plain Elmers Glue. 50/50 is about right - You can really mop it on with a brush. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 04:56:25 am »
I use PVA without water - I rub it all over the end and the first four inches of the stave with my hand cos I'm too cheap to buy a brush >:D

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 05:51:42 am »
I have never done it but Elmer's sells a spray adhesive I use for a lot of stuff it sells for cheap around the beginning of the school year pretty easy to clean up
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 06:13:31 am »
I like brush-on shellac because it survives the steam tube intact, but it isn't cheap nowadays.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 07:36:50 am »
I've never heard of sealing staves with hairspray.  How good of a job does it do on keeping them from checking on the ends and back?

I'll look into the PVA glue.  What brand name are you guys using?

I go through 3-4 gallons of polyurethane a year so I don't think I want to mess with any small spray bottles of glue. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 08:18:14 am »
Not any particular brand, just the biggest cheapest bottle of builders general use pva

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 08:45:08 am »
Maybe just try titebond I. It's a lot cheaper than TBIII and for sealing the end of a stave or log should be just fine, never tried it though.