Author Topic: Syringa Gull Wing bow (Not the buildalong)  (Read 18611 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Re: Syringa Gull Wing bow
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2008, 07:06:21 am »
I don't have time to check many bows nowadays, but I surely am glad I opened this thred,..... FANTASTIC Keenan !!,

what a treat. ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

jamie

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2008, 07:31:21 am »
yeehaw and giddiup brother!. that is phenomenol! ;D

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2008, 10:23:23 am »
Great looking bow Kennan! Those tips are really nice.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2008, 11:50:56 am »
 Thank you all for the nice compliments.... ;D ;D

"yeehaw and giddiup brother!. that is phenomenol "   Jamie you made my day  ;D   It's good to be getting back up on the horse Bro. :)   Feels like it's been along time since I've been able to complete anything.           Keenan

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2008, 02:44:06 pm »
OK - you rule! I'd vote for the bow if I only saw the tips. Bookmarked with admiration for March Self Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

a finnish native

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2008, 06:29:59 pm »
syringa is great wood. that is a real fine bow. I would have made the outer limbd bend a little more, but it means nothing with such a long bow as this one. bet the draw is smooth! does it have any hand shock?
I relly like the profile, that gull wing style is my personal favourite.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2008, 06:42:56 pm »
 Thank you Oldbow, That really means alot to me coming from someone who has seen the amount of bows that you have.  Thanks again for all the work you do for all of us that frequent this site.   :) :) :)

Finnish, thank you, yes butter smooth draw but a has a fair thump to it.    Keenan

Offline Keenan

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2008, 09:52:21 pm »
  Shot this bow in some more today and played around with some heavier arrows and that tamed that hand shock considerably.  I think this bow will be a good bow for when I need a good heavy arrow with big obsidian heads. ;D ;D 
 I'm liking the groups that it is shooting, seems real forgiving. Maybe I've just been shooting those shorties to long. ;)  Keenan

Offline PatM

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2008, 01:47:35 am »
 That is incredible. The Sturgeon sets it off perfectly. Almost looks like that's what the bark should look like.
 Syringa is another name for Lilac but it is Mock Orange that  goes by the name as well. That might be the other name ringing a bell.

The two are related but not as closely as their common names may suggest. Syringa is the Latin name for Lilac. Mock Orange is Philadelphus.

brian melton

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2008, 12:44:31 pm »
Keenan,

Thanks for the info....good luck with the Cascara, hope your wife enjoys the bow ;D

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2008, 01:04:25 pm »
Keenan, you did an exceptional job with that gnarly chunk of wood. And as usual, amazing detail work. Fine looking weapon.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2008, 02:29:28 pm »
 Thankyou PatM, If you look at the syringa arrow buildalong in the buildalong section JJ gives all the info about syringa as well as some pics of what we were harvesting. ;)

Brian, Thank you It's coming along nice I'll post some pics of that one soon. Also see above

Hillbilly, Thank you. It's a serious sickness to drool over a crooked stave vrs a clean and straight one. ::)

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2008, 12:49:11 am »
that bow is too long for you! you really should give it to someone with a longer draw....like I have ;D Guys, I got to see this bow in person and am very impressed with it. keenan has a sickness for twisted bows and does incredible work on them. we were talking about doing a bow building campout around the last of april or first part of may in the central oregon area. anyone who would be interested in attending would be more than welcome. Keenan is a master craftsman with metal also, he built me a rack for my old bronco to haul my tipi poles out to the Glass Buttes Knap-In, he is coming with me, should be a lot of fun :D

Offline mack

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2008, 01:11:22 am »
Beautiful work Keenan.  Fine craftmanship on the tips, like the handle stitch on the side too.

mack
NW Alabama

mack

Offline Keenan

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2008, 01:35:17 pm »
  ;D ;D Dave your right this bow is way to long for me ;D. I did toy with the thought of giving you this one. But I have an obligation to a man thats been paitently waiting since last summer for me to heal up and get his B-day present done. I'm also afriad that you would shoot it much better then me and then I'd look even more like a rooky. ;D  Thank you Dave for all the kind words, you give me more credit then I deserve and I've seen and shot your bows and your bows are an inspiration.
 As Dave said we are planning a Central Oregon rondevous the last of April or early May. It would be great to see hpw many we could get over here.

Thanks Mack.  ;D        Keenan
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 03:26:39 pm by Keenan »