Author Topic: Syringa Gull Wing bow (Not the buildalong)  (Read 18612 times)

Offline Keenan

Syringa Gull Wing bow (Not the buildalong)
« on: March 11, 2008, 05:00:21 pm »
 This is a Sturgeon backed Syringa Gull wing bow.  It's 68" NTN and 56# at 28"   Sturgeon skin backing with elk antler tips.  This stave started with a very severe reflex right at the handle as well as a beautifull arrow pass offset. I didn't know if I could tame this one to keep it from twisting in the hand. So to start I heat deflexed the limbs right at the fades to tame the reflex a little. Here are the results.  ;D   Keenan

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 08:51:42 pm by Keenan »

Offline Keenan

Re: Syringa Gull Wing bow
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 05:05:58 pm »
 Here are a few more;  Keenan

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 05:09:39 pm »
  That bow is stunning! beautiful job on that. How does she shoot? Steve

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 05:09:59 pm »
 Here is what I started with. Keenan

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 05:13:28 pm »
 Steve this one has a butter smooth draw with it's length but has dose have some hand shock. The syringa is fairly dense and I'm not sure if it's design or just to much limb mass. Maybe a little of both. Still formulating my thoughts on this syringa.  Keenan

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 05:30:06 pm »
Keenan I'm thoroughly impressed with this one. Love the uniqueness from the shape to the belly where the pith was removed
the skins and handle wrap all scream "I'm Different" Great Job and thanks for the build along. Now to find me some decent lilac :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 05:56:25 pm »
 Thank you Dana,  ;D ;D  Keenan

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 06:00:57 pm »
man it looks like it would realy want to roll on ya when in the first stages.
that bow is very unique!
very nice lines my man.

have you ever had any tips like that pop off on bows while you tried to string them, or do you use a bow stringer on your bows?
i would think that with nice snake skin,and fish skin,and bark backings a stringer would cause some havoc over time.

i tried those tips like you made and mine did not hold well. i think it might have been the epoxy.
what kind of glue/epoxy did you use keenan?

great job,great bow!

mbg

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 06:11:43 pm »
Awesome bow Keenan!  Where do you get the sturgeon skin from?
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 06:16:32 pm »
Thanks Titan, I get them from friends and relatives that go sturgeon fishing. Always asking people to save them for me.  Keenan

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 06:26:31 pm »
 Thanks Jamie, I have never had a tip pop off but did have one break that got dropped on the floor. It broke right at the string grove  But had taken some hard hits befor and had survived.  I've used everything form super glue, tightbond,gorilla glue and 5 minute epoxy. they all will work if the surface prep is good. Always degrease and score the surface real well.
 I dont use stringers and have always used the step through method. I know that some dont like method that but It's what I learned very young and have never had problems with it.  Keenan

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 07:00:37 pm »
That is a beautiful bow Keenan.  I love the sturgeon and antler combination.  The spots on the skin match the horn perfectly.  I also love the little groove from the pithy core of the stave.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 07:01:07 pm »
really like every bit of the details of this bow; that pith grove is really sexy, so are tips, skins, overlays....and the tiller of course!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 07:01:46 pm »
nice looking bow good job
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Gordon

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 07:30:57 pm »
I'm stunned that you were able to take a piece of wood like that and turn it into something so functional and beautiful. Keenan, you're my hero!
Gordon