Author Topic: Full draw photos  (Read 3165 times)

Offline DC

Full draw photos
« on: February 07, 2017, 02:21:36 pm »
I was taking full draw photos the other day and I think I'm seeing things maybe. In the first picture I though I could see a bit of  hinge about a foot from the lower tip. The bottom limb seems to bend a bit more too. So I took the second picture. It seems a bit better in both respects. So I turned the bow upside down for the third picture and it seems fine(except for some dufus peeking at the camera). Do you guys see the same thing? Can we trust pictures?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Full draw photos
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 02:38:19 pm »
Tiller is excellent. Nicely done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 02:55:39 pm »
I think Im going to set up the video camera on the next one but yours looks good to me I noticed the ones with the wooptidoos are hard to decifer in the pics or undulations .
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 03:12:12 pm »
the camera does distort the image a bit,, its like when you take a photo of a room and the walls are a bit bent,,so you are right pictures are not the perfect representation of tiller,, and depending on which side of the bow you show it may look different,
but they can give you a good general idea, ,then its up to your eye too see the nuances ,,, also thats why people look a bit different in a photo than in real life,, the camera changes the image a bit,, if you want to know what someone really looks like you have to see them in person,  right :)

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 03:22:56 pm »
In the first picture there is a dark spot right behind where I see a hinge. I guess background color can affect things too. From now on when I'm taking pictures to check my tiller I'll do two, one right side up and another upside down. I don't have a spot with a neutral background. If there was one my wife would plant something in front of it ;D

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 03:24:56 pm »
DC

I kinda see the same thing on the lower, even when you flip it.

does the bow have much natural crown? maybe the sides at the tips are fatter than the sides where the bow is wider?, and the light is playing tricks

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 03:29:08 pm »
I see what your talking about, but that tiller looks great to me in the other two.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 03:34:00 pm »
We should always try to take pictures with a consistent background.

I see the area you're talking about in the pictures. It 'seems' more noticeable in the first one, but I wouldn't call it a 'hinge'.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 04:18:55 pm »
I guess hinge was too strong but it told you what to look for. The bow is from a 3" sapling so it's got a bit of crown. There is a small lump on the back where I'm seeing the "hinge". It's about 1/16" high and 3" long. That may be enough to fool my eyes. I'm quite happy with the bow or else I wouldn't have posted it. I just thought the pictures were interesting and maybe a bit telling. I'm won't be so quick to pass judgement on a bow now that I've seen how a picture can fool you.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 05:41:04 pm »
also keep in mind,, if you cant see the unbraced profile,, it is really hard to tell the tiller in a photo,,,,what looks like a hinge might be natural deflex in that part of the bow,, most bows with a little character are not going to have a perfect looking bend,,
and may look different on each side,,

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 06:35:24 pm »
Good point but in this case except for that little hump the limb is straight.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 07:37:30 pm »
In the first pic the planter hook in the background might be messing with what your eyes see - I can see the "hinge" you are talking about only when I don't focus on the spot but look at the whole bow.  It seems to be where the straight line of the hook in the background meets the bow.  I think the tiller is just fine.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 07:54:21 pm »
For me it's so easy to over analyze a photo. I think it's great to post pics and see what others think, but there comes point when I just have to leave well-enough alone. The more I mess with it, the more I'm likely to screw something up.

Your tiller looks great to me.  ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 07:59:17 pm »
You have too much going on in the background
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 08:05:45 pm »
I'll have to see if I can find somewhere to hang an old sheet. Every direction I look in our yard looks like that. My wife is an avid gardener :D