Author Topic: Small crack around knot  (Read 5602 times)

Offline SMeeres3030

Small crack around knot
« on: February 07, 2017, 08:53:03 am »
Hi guys I was on the final sanding and tiller tweak stage and was just shooting in this yew bow. 63"ntn 58# @ 30. So almost exactly where I like it but I heard a tick and checked it and seen a crack horizontal . It seem superficial like one ring  so I am wondering if I should just sand it out? Or put a rawhide bandaid over it or even rAwhide back it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Small crack around knot
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 08:56:43 am »
Looks like you will have to go below that crack to save the bow. It will reduce the weight though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SMeeres3030

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 09:47:06 am »
Can I just scrap and sand below or would I have to back it after as well?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 09:55:11 am »
You can try to scrape or sand out and that may work if it really only went 1 ring down, you are asking quite a lot with 30 inch draw at only 63 n-n to begin with, hope it works out but looks like a death sentence to me. Where on the limb is the crack ?
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 10:06:16 am »
Good luck.  I wish I was more familiar with yew, but I don't like the looks of it.  The crack is so cleanly transverse and right there at the knot.  You don't lose anything but time trying to fix it, I guess.  Bowyers work down sapwood on yew all the time, so it seems like you could take the whole ring down, but that's only if you can see the ring well enough to do it.

Offline SMeeres3030

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 10:09:27 am »
It is not in the best spot. Almost mid limb so I'm not too hopeful for it. But I'll give it a try, I might safety it up with a rAwhide patch as well.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 10:16:15 am »
The stresses that caused it will be there to an even greater degree if your try to scrape below it.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 10:42:30 am »
Take a look though Dels site. I long thin patch might work. Like Pappy said you're asking a lot.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 12:08:07 pm »
It looks like a thin spot there, did you take any photos braced or drawn before this happened?
Could be my phone, is that on the back of the bow? If so, she's firewood

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 03:42:19 pm »
I usually try to be positive about saving a bow,, but I agree , the main problem is that you were asking alot to go 30 inches at nearly 60# with 63 inch bow,,,,, you just increase your odds of failure as you push the limits,, if it was my bow and I was determined to save it,, I would reduce the weight of the bow( to 45 or 50) leaving that spot stiffer,, and put a heavy sinew wrap to stiffen it up even more there,, and the guys that think its firewood might have a point for sure,, 

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 03:51:45 pm »
Any thoughts on digging out the knot? It could be a stress raiser?

Offline Hamish

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 07:20:04 pm »
Next time you make a bow with a large knot like that you should leave a swelling of extra wood around the knot(widening the back at that point).Treat the knot as if it were a hole in the wood, because they have such little tension strength.
 Sounds like you did a pretty good job of getting the most out of the stave, with such a long draw.
Yew is excellent stuff, and will tolerate more violation/flaws than most woods, yet it will still break if pushed too far.
 Sure you could try and save it, but because of the inherent deficiency of not compensationg enough for the knot, I think you will have a hard time saving it.

Offline SMeeres3030

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 07:38:07 pm »
So it might work to rAwhide wrap it and decrease weight.? Thanks guys for all your advice. Much appreciated. I know 63" is pushing it but carrying a bow any longer than that in our dense brush hunting is a huge pain.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 07:46:18 pm »
If there's a fix that will work it's on Del's site, but since it's on the back and mid limb, I'd be amazed if it survives.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline SMeeres3030

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 09:14:42 pm »
Forgive my ignorance but what is dels site?