Author Topic: Where do I go from here? (new pics)  (Read 6660 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Where do I go from here? (new pics)
« on: March 10, 2008, 10:36:35 pm »
I finally got around to reflexing the limbs and straightening that skinny little sliver of osage I was gonna burn.  I messed up and took it down another ring because the back wasn't perfect resulting in some pretty thin limbs. I should have left them, because I was gonna sinew it anyway.
 Now they are a little under 1/2" thick with tillering left to do. 
  It's 1" wide at the handle, tapering gradually to the tips and 57" long.  I want to make a bendy handle and sinew it but don't know how thick to make the handle.  I mean I don't have a clue as to where to begin ???
  I know I won't get much weight from it, but I want to try it anyway.  Who knows, it might make a good kids bow at least.  Saw Filer
                        BTW, when should I sinew it and would Tite Bond II be OK, or would you use hide glue?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 02:44:28 am by Saw Filer »
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Where do I go from here?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:55:19 pm »
I bet this will make a Nice Bow....and 1/2" of Hedge is a good chunk...don't underestimate it...not yet!! I would Sinew Back it as soon as you have it Floor Tillered...and being that it is so thin....I would put three layers on it....at least that is what I do with it....others may disagree with this...but I always do....then let it sit for a Month to make sure that the Sinew is good and dry...and the extra Moisture in the Bow is gone from the Sinew Job you just did....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 11:00:17 pm »
1/2" is darn thick for osage.  Ill bet you can still get 60# out of it easily.  If you sinew it you will have no problem getting 60#.  If you want a bendy handle it shout be maybe 1/16" thicker than the rest of the limbs then you can tiller it. I would tiller it a little then sinew it also. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 01:31:13 am »
I'd start with a few growth rings above the plain of the limbs and adjust that thickness as you tiller. You only want the handle area to flex a bit at full draw anyway. 
   Thats gonna make a sweet lil bow.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 01:36:05 am »
How far would you tiller it?  Just get it to brace, then sinew it or not even brace it?   What about the glue?  Sorry for all the questions, this is new territory for me.   Shannon
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 01:43:29 am »
I have only made a few sinewed bows. One was fully tillered and shot in when I sinewed it and others were half tillered. You will want to draw the bow in a bit of reflex while adding the sinew and by per-tillering you get a nice even bend through out the limbs.
  TiteBond III will work with sinew. I have seen and shot a few bows like this and they preform well. . If you have hide glue, the bow and you will benefit from the experience. ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 01:51:29 am »
Don't mess with the Titebond 3...unless you want to soak your Sinew in warm Water to soften it up first....use Hide Glue...and if you cant get any....which it isn't hard to get...look on the Internet for any Violin Restorer...or ever 3 Rivers and such.... I get mine from the Violin Restorers ....it seems to be a lot stronger Glue....and it sets slower too...so you can get smoother work....and if you cant wait for the Hide Glue....there is always Knox.....Or even Titebond Hide Glue...but to me this is too thin....I prefer the real deal myself........Do the Sinew...take your time ...and you will learn a great deal....I guarantee you.......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 02:42:41 am »
OK.  So here's the plan... I'll tiller it to brace or just a little past, just to make sure the limbs are bending even. I'll get some hide glue somewhere and use it.  I've read somewhere that hide glue lets the sinew draw the bow into reflex more than tite bond anyway.  I don't think i'll need to add any more reflex than what it has since it already has probably too much anyway. I'll just leave it with what it has after tillering it a bit.
 Sinew it. Wait, wait and wait some more and get back to the questions after waiting some more. ;D
  If anybody has any better ideas, i'd really like to hear them.
                                                     Saw Filer

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 02:47:44 am »
   I like the knox unflavored gelatin very well, it is pure clean hide glue. I used to use fish glue from Lee Valley for several years, I like it alot but it tends to stay tacky, a nice coat of tb 3 after it cures with a smake skin takes care of that/ As far as thickness goes I think form this point on I would rely on tiller shape and adjusting and tillering rather than measuring the thickness. Are you familiar with the term floor tillering? Pushing the bow to the floor while you hold the handle and the upper limb to check the bend. You are proably going to be pretty close so while you are waiting for the sinew to dry you might start studying up on tillering or even practice on a few red oak boards from lowes. Steve

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 07:07:26 pm »
If you tiller it quite a bit it makes it easier to pull it back into reflex while you add the sinew.  Sinew is amazing in tension and pulling it a little into reflex will increase your performance a lot.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 01:45:54 am »
Here's some pictures of the tiller so far.
  The first one is braced @ 6"
  The second is pulled to 20" from the back of the bow. At that point it's only drawing about 29#  I'm afraid I won't be able to get 50# out of it at my 27" draw.
  The third picture is immediately after unstringing it. It has 2-1/2" of reflex
 I don't know what to expect from about 3 layers of sinew as far as how much weight it might pick up.  I suppose I could temper the belly and gain a few pounds. 
  What to do, what to do? ??? ??? ???
                          Saw Filer

Offline Keenan

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 01:53:28 am »
 Looking good sawfiler. You should be able to expect about 3-4 lbs. per inch of draw. And I would anticipate that the sinew will add possibly 5-10 lbs as well. So you might just make it after all.  Keenan

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 01:56:50 am »
Dang...it looks good....but I sure would not have thought that it would only be 29 pounds....a half an inch of Sage is quite a Bit normally....you can expect to gain...maybe 15 pounds with the three layers o Sinew.....and heat treating the Belly...I mean 1 inch at the Handle is a little thinner than I would have went....but I do have one that is 1 inch from the center to 6 inches from the Tips.....and then narrows.....to 1/2" tips....and it is right at 58 pounds ....with no backing....but you might be surprised how much you will gain in the last 7 inches of Draw on it....it might fool you.......
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 02:00:44 am »
Right now you are really close to 50# at 27" so with sinew and some good tillering, you should be in good shape. You could remove a little wood in the handle area if you are looking for a bendy handle bow.  You could also remove a little from the outer limbs. Justin

SW Utah

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 02:45:57 am »
It's bending a visible amount right up to the 4" handle area and I still have a little narrowing to do on the tips.  I'm not really sure how far to take it before adding the sinew.
  I've decided that no matter what weight I end up with, i'm gonna do it anyway!
  Here's a picture of the thickness at the handle and at mid limb, not much over 3/8".
  Micheal, I would have started with a lot more wood, but that was all I had.  This was just a scrap I cut from another stave. It was headed to the stove, but I thought I might get something out of it. 
   Thanks for the input guys, I'll keep you posted.   Saw Filer