Author Topic: Osage?  (Read 2696 times)

Offline justsomedude

Osage?
« on: February 02, 2017, 05:02:05 pm »
Pardon my ignorance...but if it doesn't have fruit and the standard mature bark, I'm not sure.
There's 9' of 5" diameter offshoot that would be really easy to cut

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Osage?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 05:14:52 pm »
The split trunk tree in the middle looks like osage.  The smaller one in front does not.  It's easy to tell as soon as you cut into them.  Looks like you might have some cool holey staves in there.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 05:19:56 pm »
I have found 4 of these so far (back yard). But that one in front right is the straight piece I am eyeing. The big split one is yellow inside (broke a dead branch) and the bark has that glow...I have looked up pictures of Osage bark online and it changes so mush as it matures I couldn't tell.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 05:31:07 pm »
That front one looks like it might be a young ash tree.  It's hard to tell just from the bark. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 05:42:47 pm »
Beware of trees that appear conjoined but are actually two separate species.  :) That really does look like what happened here.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 05:48:35 pm »
Yes I get that going on here too with osage and red elm.Right next to each other.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 06:53:30 pm »
Looks like they come out of the same trunk to me then split. The larger front one if Osage . I would take a split off the side or back side of the rotten area. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 07:11:15 pm »
If the front right trunk has small thorny branches coming out of it, it's Osage.

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 11:33:59 pm »
I'm going back out with some pruners (some of the Osage is buried in thorns and underbrush )so I can get a better look at the other ones too.

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 03:53:55 am »
If you were in England the front one is Elder.....but you aren't and I have no idea ;)

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 09:09:27 am »
There is a lot of Osage in the Nashville Tn. area.  The Zoo is covered in the stuff.
That forked tree in the back looks like Osage to me.   Cut It.

If you live in Nashville Tn.... You need to find your way up to Pappy's Place.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 10:28:33 am »
 Yeah, look for the thorns.

But, hey, in this case the tree that may not be osage looks pretty straight and healthy.  If there isn't a reason you can see NOT to cut it, by all means.... worst case scenario is you have to make some ash bows.  Darn.

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 10:35:24 am »
I will cut that front tree. If anything, it is going to kill the Osage. I have never split staves before so I need a good practice piece.
Now that I am looking more closely I have found a few more. One of them is pretty straight and about 10"

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 10:39:00 am »
I have cut Osage that looked like the small left tree and the center one. You mentioned one of the easiest ways to tell--cut or break a branch. Dead Osage branches hang on a long time and are very hard to break, compared to other trees.

The Osage I have access to has several different looks to the bark and  seems to be related to age and rate of growth. Two big trees can look very different if one grew fast and the other slow.

If they are your trees, cut them. Thinning the woods is usually a good thing even if you don't get bow wood.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 12:03:40 pm »
Is a bent piece like this usable? About 6' to the big bend/knot.
I just don't know how picky we are with Osage.