Author Topic: What makes a good core wood?  (Read 2955 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: What makes a good core wood?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 11:24:14 am »
What was that combo that was very good....Bamboo/maple/yew?????
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 11:26:10 am »
Never tried yew as a belly lam, but I have heard great things about it. 
Personally, I love bamboo, maple, ipe

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 11:36:26 am »
Yes I've heard of and seen that too.The ipe bow might get a little narrower I'd say than the yew then because of it's density.Although I've seen a wonderful wider flat bow made out of a laminated ipe too.Getting those thickness/width/and length dimensions down can take some experimenting.
Anyway upstate your cranking out self bows every 2 weeks for sure seems like and now with these laminated bows I imagine you'll crank them out even faster in that work shop....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 12:04:04 pm »
Remember, the stiffer (harder, more dense usually) the belly, the thinner the total stack.  Thus, so you don't run out of belly to work with,that means make the core lam thinner. 

Loon mentioned black locust, which works great, but is heavier than you strictly need.  My best luck was with tough, but lighter woods(remember, the middle lam is under very little compression strain, but some shear strain).  I like maple, cherry, bamboo flooring, light end white and red oak, maple for sure, and I once bought a thin red elm board off Ebay as a 'throw in" on kind of a package deal of thin pieces.  That was great stuff, though a little hard to mill thin and smoothly.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 10:06:14 pm »
I like lightweight wood in the middle to keep physical weight of the limb down. Then add a dependable belly and back. My personal feelings? ERC is worthless except to build hope chests. I wouldn't use it in any part of a bow build, not again that is :)

For a backing Id stick with hard maple or hickory. Boo if you got it.

Come on now Pearlie....need me to send some more clean boards?:)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.