Author Topic: What makes a good core wood?  (Read 2956 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

What makes a good core wood?
« on: January 29, 2017, 11:17:06 am »
I have literally no experience w/ tri-lams, but I'd like to try them. A friend who has a killer workshop is letting me come over to cut some lams. I'd like to go home with a bunch of backs, cores, and bellies. I know what makes good backs and bellies but could use some input on the core. Thanks ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PatM

Re: What makes a good core wood?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 11:46:28 am »
Maple.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 11:58:49 am »
Maple.

That's what I use.  Both all wooden bows and FG.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 03:11:02 pm »
Osage, yew, mulberry, maple, hickory, hhb, cherry, walnut, erc, all kinds of stuff.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 05:07:04 pm »
what will you use for the back and belly?

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 06:36:22 pm »
how bout apple?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline cabinetbowguy

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 10:05:57 pm »
My fav is cherry
Amen

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 10:29:19 am »
I have always used maple also, but I hear cherry is great core wood as well

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 10:52:20 am »
Lighter the better IMO.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 12:05:54 pm »
Pearl, glad to hear it. I think my first will be 2 lams of erc w/ an ash back. Would there be any advantage to using something different in the middle?

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 12:13:49 pm »
I like lightweight wood in the middle to keep physical weight of the limb down. Then add a dependable belly and back. My personal feelings? ERC is worthless except to build hope chests. I wouldn't use it in any part of a bow build, not again that is :)

For a backing Id stick with hard maple or hickory. Boo if you got it.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 07:31:25 pm »
Thanks PD, duly noted  :). The main reason I'm a little obsessed w/erc is that one of my best shooters is a mostly sapwood sinew-backed erc. It's soooo light and shoots soooo smooth. So I've been ichin to make one with all heartwood cause it's so purdy and I thought if I cut clean clear lams and backed it w/something that wouldn't overpower it, a thin ash, it might just work.  O:)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 07:18:26 am »
Try it if it intrigues you. I just gave my opinion, it doesnt make it a rule.

Offline loon

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 07:57:53 am »
How about black locust?? I just know Alex Wittenaar used it on a very stable hornbow and said it was good.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 10:50:05 am »
Tri lams are wonderful bows and you will learn a lot about woods qualities making them.Even though I don't make them much but have.If made right superior to self bows sometimes really IMHO.I call then kit bows compared to self bows.No malicious intentions meant though.The fella who showed me the saran wrap usage has made a lot of them.Sometimes even with 5 glue lines mostly R/D style and with not too much reflex induced either.He likes a colorful looking type bow.....lol.I bet bubby could shed some light on your subject.He's made a bunch too.
Personally I like a denser core than maple or ERC.With good compression and elastic qualities for a long long life.Not exactly saying maple or erc will break down either.Ironwood!!!That's just me.Most times a laminated bow will get reduced mass weight wise in the limbs for a faster cast speed in my experience.Design makes a big difference.Just my opinion again.Like Pearly not a rule....lol.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 11:04:59 am by Beadman »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed