Author Topic: tying temporary string nocks  (Read 2803 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

tying temporary string nocks
« on: January 27, 2017, 07:25:21 pm »
Anybody have a tried and true way of doing this? I'm assuming you wrap the cord/string around a bunch of times and tie a knot? What knot should I use?

Thanks
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Stick Bender

Re: tying temporary string nocks
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 07:32:15 pm »
I never had much luck with tied on knocks staying put but I know some guys use stringer type strings whith leather boots over the tips I'm going to make one when I get a chance.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 08:00:12 pm »
I never had much luck with tied on knocks staying put but I know some guys use stringer type strings whith leather boots over the tips I'm going to make one when I get a chance.

I've made the leather boots, but the leather always ends up ripping. Probably too thin.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 08:09:37 pm »
Look up a bowyer's knot
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 08:11:34 pm »
I know that one, but can it be used to tie together the two ends of the string that's wrapped around the tips?

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 08:12:01 pm »
I put on the finish nock(if I'm overlaying it) Just rough them in and use them, it only takes a minute. If the bow breaks, well I've had some practice making nocks :). I usually cut the nocks off and re-use them if the bow breaks.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 08:16:00 pm »
Perhaps I didn't explain myself well. I'm making a static recurve and I like to tiller the bow out a bit before flipping the tips, so I'd like to be able to secure a long string on the bow while it's on the tillering tree without cutting nocks into the tips. Don't want to flip the tips with nocks cut in. I figured the way to do this is to use string wrapped around the tips.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 08:23:16 pm »
Like this. It's just that I cant get a good knot to tie the 2 loose ends together to prevent it from unwrapping.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 08:31:48 pm »
What about whipping of some sort. There's a variation of the clove hitch, that you can wrap/tie several times. If you get it nice and tight just put a dab of glue on it if your worried about the actual knot slipping. Cheers- Brendan

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 08:54:52 pm »
What about whipping of some sort. There's a variation of the clove hitch, that you can wrap/tie several times. If you get it nice and tight just put a dab of glue on it if your worried about the actual knot slipping. Cheers- Brendan

I'll look that up. Thanks!

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 09:10:30 pm »
One of the Bowyer's Bibles has a description of tying the string without nocks. You'd be better off just cutting in temporary nocks. You should be leaving your tips wide anyway before bending.

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 09:15:37 pm »
One of the Bowyer's Bibles has a description of tying the string without nocks. You'd be better off just cutting in temporary nocks. You should be leaving your tips wide anyway before bending.

What he said
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 10:43:47 pm »
Leave your limb tips wide and cut in side nocks. Once the bow is tillered you can reshape the tips to their final shape and add new nocks.
With the tips left wide you can also align the string at first brace by moving the tips over to one side or the other.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline willie

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 11:59:37 pm »
Good advice about leaving them wide in the future, but if it is already narrow, I have used the penderbender method with hot melt glue and a little extra heat from the stovetop as I wind it on to build it up some

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 04:03:55 am »
It is simple. Cut your self a little wedge of any wood. From an 1/8 thick down to nothing. Slightly narrower than the tip. Glue this on with a spot of superglue. Do not prepare the back of the stave at all, leaver it natural because you don't want a great bond here. Then simply whip it on with serving thread or similar.
Look up the knot for tying off servings.
then when you want to change the nocks and do the final ones you simply cut the thread off and pop off the temp nock.
If you want to cut stringer grooves into them then make them a wee bit longer.
I do this on all my bows and it works everytime.