Author Topic: Tiller check please  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Tiller check please
« on: January 27, 2017, 12:10:43 pm »
Hi Fellas been working on the tiller all morning Im about 2 in away from FD just wondering you guys thoughts its still holding 1 in of reflex & in the unbraced shot the back of the handle is not flat so the bow sits on a angle the limbs seem to be symetrical with some positive tiller ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Tiller check please
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 12:11:23 pm »
Braced

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 12:11:54 pm »
Unbraced

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 12:21:36 pm »
Your unbraced pic says it for set.Looks pretty good.I don't know why these bows look like they are bending more on the lower limb to have a negative tiller looking full draw look.Could be not enough positive tiller or could be the nockng point or the way it's held in the pic.Is it even tillered at the brace?
Overall looks pretty good and your just about there with a little more patience.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 12:26:18 pm »
Ok thanks Ed think Im going to let it sweat braced for a few hours could be the way Im knocking dont want to knock a arrow in the house the wife will go nuts !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 12:32:52 pm »
Hey we don't want that nuts stuff going on......lol.Thats a good idea to sweat it a bit.Could shoot it with marked arrows to your draw weight too.That's if your handle is carved out anyway.I know you've been waiting on this one and your just about there.Goood looking stick!!!
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 12:39:59 pm »
Looks to me like your lower limb is bending more and most of that is the middle 1/3 of the limb.
 Checking positive tiller at brace on a selfbow isn't accurate because of the unevenness of the wood. Checking at full draw is the most accurate.
 I never measure for positive tiller but check it visually on the tree or in a pic of full draw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 12:42:23 pm »
Nope havent carved the handle or tips yet lost another 1/2 oz on mass or better from scraping thats with the string on so if my mass figures are right I should be on target @ 22.5 oz  im 2 oz away

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 12:44:02 pm »
Most times checking mine at brace is transferred to my full draw.Most times my limbs are very very close to even thickness with no unevenness.I look at mine on the tree very close too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 12:49:21 pm »
Sounds like you'll be right in the ball park of the mass theory of Badgers.
BowEd
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 12:49:46 pm »
Is there any chance you could flip it end for end and post another picture? Bows on here always(well, mostly always) look like the bottom limb is bending more. I hate to comment on tiller when I see that because I have my doubts. It looks like the camera is the right height and the bow is 90 degrees to the camera so this one might actually be bending too much in the bottom, but I dunno :D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 12:51:46 pm »
It does look the way it is that the area on the lower limb from the fade out could bend a scooch more to blend the middle bend of it better.
To me it's very close.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 01:00:19 pm »
Ok hear is the reverse shot it does look like it might be bending more the taper is dead smooth both with calipers & gizmo Hum !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 01:16:14 pm »
The tiller looks better that way although I still think the inner 1/3 of the top limb is bending a bit much. A few scrapes just below the fades and the tips should do the trick.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 01:23:05 pm »
To me it looks like the bottom limb was bending too much in the first picture. In the second it looks like the top limb is bending too much but it doesn't look as bad. I agree with Pat as long as we are talking about the same limb ;D. It would be nice if a computer guru could overlay the pictures so we would know for sure.