Author Topic: Novice making honey locust bow  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Chippintuff

Novice making honey locust bow
« on: January 23, 2017, 09:29:22 pm »
This is the first time I have tried to make a bow of any kind. I am wondering how critical it is to chase a ring on honey locust. Also the log was too small to get any heart wood into the bow. Does that hurt it in any way? It is crooked and twisted, so I think it will be a good learning experience. After I get it reduced a little more, I'll try to use steam to straighten it. Any problems to be careful about there? You might wonder why I'm not using something better. Well, I don't expect to build a fantastic bow on my first try, so why not try this stave that was cut one year ago and kept stored in the garage (not climate controlled). Also it gives me multiple challenges. If it flops, I still learn something.

WA

Offline dylanholderman

Re: Novice making honey locust bow
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 12:20:31 am »
Some pics would help if you can get them  :)
I haven't personally used that wood but I've seen some builds with a sapwood back so I think you're alright  ;) still it wouldn't hurt to wait for someone more experienced with that wood to chime in.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 07:09:39 am »
I'm of the opinion that you should try and chase a perfect ring on any stave but that's me. I haven't personally worked with honey locust but I've heard it's light in density so make it as wide and long as possible to start.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 09:17:57 am »
  It should be good practice but don't be hard on yourself if it doesn't work out. Honey locust has a lot of issues when it comes to bow making even using a premium piece of wood.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 09:23:18 am »
I just now read George Tsoukalas' bow making instruction page, and it looks like I was doomed from the start. The stave was not wide enough. I may still play with it some especially with straightening. It might be adequate to build a kid's bow. I have two very good staves, one osage and one hickory that were given to me a year ago, but I don't dare touch them till I have enough experience to make something that works. Thanks for the replies.

WA

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 09:46:32 am »
if you dont chase a ring ...it will fail unless you back it..expect some set...honey locust will make a bow...gut

Offline Dkincaid

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 10:42:05 am »
You might as well jump in with the staves you have. A good stave makes building a bow easier. If you break those there will be more to be had. I used to think the exact same way until someone pointed out that I was setting my self up by subconsciously being doomed from the start. With a good piece of wood comes confidence and motivation.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 11:21:16 am »
Start with good, proven bow wood. Starting with junk will only discourage you, and we don't need that :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 12:14:58 am »
Dig into that hickory, you don't have to chaise a ring and it's a great beginner wood
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 07:40:58 am »
I cut some honey locust about 5 years ago and quartered the log and sealed the ends.  It twisted and warped so bad that I cut it up and used it for firewood.  Too many other better woods to use.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 02:45:18 am »
5-6 years ago I made a bow from honey locust, killed my first couple carp with it which was great. It ended up breaking about 2 months after I made it while i was stringing it. I just peeled the bark and used that as the back. Never used the wood since.
I like osage

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 09:14:28 am »
I'd grab the hickory too.Both osage and hickory are good tough woods.They can handle mistakes and still make a bow.They can also take more extreme designs to make a bow too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 08:12:22 am »
Honey locust is ok wood.  Not great wood, but ok.  Useable.

A stave of mostly sapwood, from a sturdy sapling, with good density (for the wood), wide rings and a crowned back can be treated like other white woods.  Don't bother chasing a ring of heartwood.

HL takes set pretty easily, more than ash or most elms.  Make sure it's nice and dry.  Make a 2" wide limb at least, and at least as tall as your nose.  If you can't do that, use everything that you have as far as width and length.  Make a flatbow with about half the limb length parallel, flip the tips, and heat treat the belly.

It'll shoot if you do that, and it's not gonna be your last bow, anyway!  ;-)