Author Topic: Recurves  (Read 2561 times)

Offline DC

Recurves
« on: January 23, 2017, 02:35:39 pm »
I wanted to make a recurve with sharp hooks. I'm using OS and I tried bending solid pieces with no luck so I kerfed it, steamed it and put in inserts. I may have done it too soon :(. Now  I'm floor tillering(not to brace yet) and It appears that I'm running out of wood at the end of the inserts. How thin can the belly side piece get? I can go Molle if need be. I could side tiller, OS will take a pretty thick limb but I'm concerned that the limb might twist if I narrow it too much. Do I have any other options?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Recurves
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 02:41:24 pm »
Glue your insert in, and it's ok if it's exposed, it may not look to good but it will still function.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 02:44:45 pm »
It's already glued up.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 03:03:58 pm »
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking? Are you talking about thickness or width? I don't see issues with either.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 03:28:49 pm »
Because I'm only at floor tiller I'm going to have to thin the limbs quite a bit more. I was worried about running out of wood where the inserts are. Bryce said that's not a big deal except for appearance so I can just continue on. If I'm concerned about appearance and want to keep the insert centred (more or less) and go the Molle route can the levers have that much recurve in them?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 03:37:55 pm »
I wouldn't want anymore removed from that area anyhow. Leave it be and just blend that in. A molly curve with super narrow tips would be an alignment nightmare. Its been done.......but....
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline John Scifres

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 03:59:16 pm »
Are you trying to do a working recurve?  If so, you are way too thick.  Change to a static.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 04:33:25 pm »
No, It was always static. I like the tips as light as possible though.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 04:35:41 pm »
Just leave it static which you should be doing anyway with a really sharp curve and an insert. You can reduce it so that your insert is practically just a belly overlay. Essentially your curve  not any different from a thinner curved piece that is built back up.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 04:35:57 pm »
  What Pearl said.  I all the time have to make things super thin to bend them, then just slap an overlay on it and go, to stiffen it back up.  So, the glue joints aren't an issue, and if you leave the recurves non bending, you have plenty.

The one thing you don't want is for the bend of the limb to suddenly stop and abruptly become static for the recurve RIGHT where the kerf starts.  If you force it to bend there, you might have trouble.  Otherwise, no.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 05:27:25 pm »
Thin those tips to a molly curve and add a little bridge to hold the string on........wow sounds like something I'd do or try...... :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bow101

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 05:43:07 pm »
I would go static.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 06:11:22 pm »
you have extra wood that can be thinned down above and below the kerf insert....even if you leave a 1/16" either side of the insert thats no problem...I have done that, leaving only 1/16" of belly wood beneath the joint.   it wasnt a problem

dave
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 02:51:30 pm »
you have extra wood that can be thinned down above and below the kerf insert....even if you leave a 1/16" either side of the insert thats no problem...I have done that, leaving only 1/16" of belly wood beneath the joint.   it wasnt a problem

dave

It just occurred to me that you were recommending removing wood from the back of the recurves. Is this safe with statics?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 08:19:59 pm »
No. Never the back.