Author Topic: What to do with discouragement?  (Read 8690 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: What to do with discouragement?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 02:29:07 pm »
everyone has a different level of interest,,
I get excited just looking at a stave,, I dont have to make a better bow everytime,, just a good bow,,
they are all so beautiful to me,,,that I dont get discouraged,, I just enjoy making them,, and one of the reasons I never get tired of making them,, is my passion for shooting,, I love to shoot archer,, so it goes hand in hand and I stay very passionate about making a bow,, like others,, sometimes my life gets in the way and I have very little time for it,, but when I do , I enjoy it, ,and try to live in that enjoyment,, :)

Offline DC

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 02:38:23 pm »
It seems that everyone has a different take on discouragement. We've gone from stop and have a cup of coffee to, "Screw this, I'm going to become a nun!" For me it rarely gets much worse than taking a couple of days off. ;) ;)

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 03:22:44 pm »
Being a nunn might be a great occupation for bow making... lots of spare time, access to tools, no spouse to nag you,... ;D ;D ;D
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2017, 03:38:20 pm »
It took me 3 years and 14 tries to get a shooter...so I tend to not get too discouraged when a bow breaks. :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2017, 07:58:00 pm »
It took me 3 years and 14 tries to get a shooter...so I tend to not get too discouraged when a bow breaks. :)
Jawge

I just broke one and it didn't phase me a bit! Well, maybe just a little  O:) :laugh:
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2017, 08:21:44 pm »
Ah see, upstate. It's the journey that counts. :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 06:47:47 am »
I surely don't build as many as I use to, I would go to bed thinking about what was the next step and wake up wanting to get back at it, not so much anymore but I still love it and am very involved with other builds. It is not really a hobby for me, more a way of life and all the other projects I work on fit right in with the same life style/ I will rough out bows for a while which is my favorite  part for some reason , then may work on knives/horns/arrows/pine pitch glue/bird houses or just some other wood project but bows and shooting/hunting with them are always in the back of my mind and not far away. Been that way for over 40 years and I really don't see it changing. I do get more frustrated with my self rather than discouraged when I have one break but have learned that is part of the game, I try and learn from it and move on. I have seen a lot come and go over the years and it always seems to surprise them when they show back up several years later and I am still at my work bench doing what I have been doing for years.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 07:35:40 am »
Reading all of these different perspectives has been eye-opening. Each one has its own character built upon different experiences. It's like the bows we end up with. No two are exactly the same.  :)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 07:54:46 am »
Reading all of these different perspectives has been eye-opening. Each one has its own character built upon different experiences. It's like the bows we end up with. No two are exactly the same.  :)
Upstate I think that's one of the things that draws me to this so. It's not just woodwork. It's bringing the materials back to life. Some bows I have been very attached to, almost like giving up my first daughter for marriage when I gave them away. I know they love them too, but it's still hard to watch them go.lol. I have to tell myself I'm not losing a bow, I'm gaining a primitive shooting partner.lol. I guess that's one reason it does hurt for me when one breaks, but I don't dwell on it and when it happens the quicker I start another the quicker I get over the other.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2017, 10:46:58 am »
I use it as a learning tool. Or a sign that I am trying to push too hard.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2017, 01:47:44 pm »
  I get enough of facing discouragement in daily life; mine, my patients', and others', that bowmaking is a treat when I get the chance, no matter what.  Even the minutes I get to spend here; typing, thinking about it, remembering my own learning process, helping the next guy, etc.  might be the best part of my day, or nearly.   Breaking or ruining a bow ticks me off at that moment, of course.  It feels like personal failure sometimes, but in the grand scheme of things, it barely makes my radar.  There is more wood in the garage.

I've never cared about having a bunch of bows, nor making the BEST bow in the world, or "beating" the other guy's bow.  MAKING them, never making the same one twice, always trying a new process, messing with and designing tools, and learning are their own rewards.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2017, 01:55:38 pm »
^ I hear ya Springbuck, 100% ;)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2017, 03:11:39 pm »
This is a really interesting and it's really neat to hear everyone's perspective on this. It's seems like most people here don't really got all that upset when a bow breaks. There is something different about this hobby, and I don't know what it is. With other woodworking projects that fail, I get pretty pissed. Maybe with bow making, it's 99% about the making, and 1% the outcome. And when your finished, it suddenly becomes 100% about what you have made. But who knows

Eric
Eric