Author Topic: What to do with discouragement?  (Read 8688 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

What to do with discouragement?
« on: January 15, 2017, 10:58:48 am »
Hi friends...

I was wondering what other PAs do when they feel discouraged. I've actually been pretty inspired lately, but the pendulum always swings the other way, and I want to be ready when it happens. Here are some things I do...

-think about how far I've come
-try a new design
-forget about bow making for a while and go out and shoot some of the good ones I've made
-look for a pattern in my mistakes

Thought this might make for an interesting topic
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Re: What to do with discouragement?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 11:08:44 am »
Definitely good to take a break here and there.  Step back from it if you're feeling discouraged.   For me, it's a fun hobby, so when it stops being fun, it's time for a break.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 11:36:51 am »
I worked on wood bows for 10 year before I had someone else to talk to about building wood bows. I did have books I could read but reading comprehension has never been my strong suit.  I screwed up lots of good bow wood but knew I wanted to learn how to build wood bows properly so I stuck with it. It wasn't until I got a computer and found PA and the great and generous people associated with PA that my bent sticks became a viable bow.
 If you really want to be successful at building wood bows then, then be a successful wood bow builder. Don't just try to win BOM or look for kudos from your contemporaries, build every bow for yourself.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online PaulN/KS

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 11:49:57 am »
It's a Hobby and is supposed to be fun. Sometimes you need a distraction from one hobby so add another.
If you have an assortment of "hobbies" when one starts to become less fun just switch to another project.
Between bow and arrow making, knife making and leatherworking (plus a 15 year old daughter  ::)) I have plenty to "distract" me...

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 12:16:37 pm »
I think shooting is the best thing to do. When I'm making bows my shooting suffers because I don't do enough. When there is a lull in the making I practice practice. You can also make arrows. I find it's different enough to constitute a break.

There's also the honeydo list, ya wanna keep on top of that ;D ;D ;D

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 12:28:59 pm »
I think shooting is the best thing to do. When I'm making bows my shooting suffers because I don't do enough. When there is a lull in the making I practice practice. You can also make arrows. I find it's different enough to constitute a break.

There's also the honeydo list, ya wanna keep on top of that ;D ;D ;D

Bingo!! Also start builsing other parts of your kit, quivers and such
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 01:42:43 pm »
I have many hobbies, but for some reason, I don't really get discouraged with bow making like I do with other hobbies. It is also the hobby I have failed most at. I started making bows when I was about 10. Let me restate that. I started breaking sticks at 10. I had no direction at all, no help, no books. Thinking back, nothing about what I was doing was right. Every "bow" I started, I just assumed it would break, but how far could I get the next one to go. So I think that mentality has stuck with me. Prepare for failure, but plan to succeed. Every bow I start, I just assume that it just might not make it, but as time has past, the ones that make it have grown while the number of  bows  that break have shrunk. But I guess tonsay I don't get discouraged is a lie, so when I do, I stop making scrapings and do something o can't fail at, like strip sinew, maybe start a new one.

Eric
Eric

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 02:21:37 pm »
I worked on wood bows for 10 year before I had someone else to talk to about building wood bows. I did have books I could read but reading comprehension has never been my strong suit.  I screwed up lots of good bow wood but knew I wanted to learn how to build wood bows properly so I stuck with it. It wasn't until I got a computer and found PA and the great and generous people associated with PA that my bent sticks became a viable bow.
 If you really want to be successful at building wood bows then, then be a successful wood bow builder. Don't just try to win BOM or look for kudos from your contemporaries, build every bow for yourself.

Lovin' all the comments. I can particularly relate to this one. For me it was a 100% independent endeavor (about 10 years also) until I found PA. My ability has since improved a lot, but there was something very important about that decade alone... it was learning perseverance. At the end of the day, the only reason I was doing it was for myself. That's something worth remembering.  ;)

DC, I can relate to what you wrote as well. It's fun to make um AND shoot um!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 02:59:59 pm »
I remind myself that I just like working with wood and  that it is the journey that counts. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 03:13:38 pm »
Jawge, I think your quote says it all!

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 03:24:36 pm »
   its easy to think postive when your bows are turning out great,, you have to think postive when you have a set back,,
you are learning something every set back, that is very positive,, I study what went wrong and what I can do next time to improve,I take note and document what happened, I will get out all my books on bowmaking and read,, something always speaks to me,, then I remind myself to have fun,, just get back on the horse and move forward,your effort will have a cumulative effect in the most postive way and your success rate will continue be better and better,, I seek advise from someone that has work I admire,, most guys that are really great at making bows are happy to share and get you through a bump in your bow making  confidence,, but mainly I try to keep a positive attitude about the bow making process, and set backs are learning part of that,, :)
   ok I am rambling a bit but want share with you my most discouraging  set back,, once a long time ago I made a bow for a tv outdoor host, I flew all the way to Argentina to appear on the show and present the bow to him,, with the cameras rolling he drew it for the first time,, and it expoded,,  wow,,,feeling bad does not describe how I felt,,  talk about discouraged,,, I ended up making some really nice bows for him after that,, and wow did I give them a harsh testing  before I ever gave a bow to anyone ,,and still do to this day,, so when someone thinks I am a bit conservative on how long or wide a make a bow,, you know why I am a bit paranoid,,, and usually err on the side of overbuilt,, :) :) :)

Offline ajooter

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 03:27:59 pm »
I really have been focusing on shooting my glass bows lately in preparation for making and shooting self bows.  A couple buddies got into shooting and the has been a blast getting back into it.  I even pulled out my hoyt ultra elite and knocked the dust off it just so I had a wheelie bow for them to start on before they went out and bought one.  I really find myself getting away from shooting bows when I start making them.  I shoot em just enough to get em shot in before they head out the door.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 03:28:34 pm »
Before I came here I came from a back ground of furniture & cabinet making so I was pretty used to making mistake , dusting off and starting over , I rarely get discouraged but when I do I take a break and go do some thing nice for my wife,family, or friends it always gets me out of my head & I come back with a new perspective , also I have conversations with forum members out side the threads and enjoy what goes on in there lives , I think to make bows you kinda have to be a little obsessive compulsive , so doing other things mentioned gives balance , I  really like what Pat B said about doing it for your self !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline bow101

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 03:49:00 pm »
I gave my head a shake I must be in the wrong room............ >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 03:51:28 pm »
Be your own worst critic upstate.As far as durable viable bows over a long stretch of time.Testing them extensively.There is always room for improvement.That'll keep you coming back to the bench.Pleasing yourself first.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed