Author Topic: osage deer hide backed for Jeffer, added qoutes from Jeffer after shooting  (Read 6167 times)

Offline rps3

Re: osage deer hide backed for Jeffer
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 09:46:07 am »
I have always enjoyed watching Jeffer shoot, and look forward to seeing what he does with this top notch bow you made for him.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 11:15:33 am »
Thanks for writing such detailed account of how this bow came to be. Fun read.

Mr Kavanaugh better post a vid shooting this lovely weapon. Otherwise he's gonna get a unsubscription!   ;)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 01:50:42 pm »
Dang I hope to see a video on his channel with this bow soon! Awesome work.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 02:18:42 pm »
thanks Guys for all the positive input, as I said earlier, it was an honor to make a bow for such a gifted archer,,
I hope it will open some eyes for people to see how accurate a primitive style bow can be,, and really fun to see him shoot,,
I have been making bows a long time and alot of archers assume that a modern bow is more accurate,, in my experience the well made wood bow is as accurate as any bow,, and just as fun for sure,, I learned alot making this bow, just when I thought I was getting a handle on it :), I forgot to mention,, I made the bow without any heating or bending,, and was just lucky the prop twist lined up on the handle( at first brace the handel was way off but as the bow settled in it came into line a bit more on its own), the natural reflex held up nice,, and I account that to the stave being cured in the high desert for 10 years plus,, nothing like a fine cured osage stave to work with,,I can't thank Mike Scifres enough for sending me such a great stave to work with,,and thanks again for taking the time to look and comment,,  :)
   Pappy, I dont think he has shot it,, he just got it yesterday and said his stringer wasnt long enough,,it would be fine if he stepped through to string it, that is how I was stringing it,, but if he is more comforatable with the stringer I will just have to be patient to see him shoot it,, but I am having a hard time being patient,, :) I am very excited to see the bow in action,

Offline RandyN

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 02:46:51 pm »
Thank you for all the great pictures and description of the bow. I know how hard you worked on it and the amount of time you spent making it just right. I can't wait to hear how it shoots for Jeffers.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 06:44:09 pm »
Nothing funky about that bow at all.Sweet shooter.It held up great.Even with a lot of the reflex on the inner limbs.Harder to do.Good design, tillering and seasoning I'd say.If he releases at 29.5" he is'nt going to see all that much difference in shooting his glass bows as far as trajectory goes.Thanks to you.I'll bet he'll be pleased.He's a heck of a shot and the bow is like an extension of his arm or like it's a part of him so I'm sure he'll shoot a nat off a dog's behind on film with it.I hope he expresses too how quiet a bow like that will shoot too because I know instantly he'll notice that.
I'm sure Jeffer will say....It'll shoot!!!!

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2017, 10:38:24 pm »
Okay, I read all of it. I would have cracked under the pressure making a bow for someone who REALLY can shoot. Maybe one day I'll have the guts to contact an amazing archer and follow your lead. Inspiring story and amazing bow. Has anyone seen that Lars Anderson guy shoot? Perhaps he would like a wood bow  8)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2017, 12:23:14 am »
Very cool. That is generous gift. How cool would that be if your bow, a simple wood bow, became his go to bow.  By the looks of these photos and the chrono results it just might. Way to represent the craft :)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2017, 09:21:58 am »
Excellent work with that one Brad and excellent performance.  I'm sure he will be impressed with selfbows after shooting that one
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2017, 10:37:52 am »
man thats  sweet lookin stik! great job sir.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline WhitefeatherFout

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2017, 12:23:21 pm »
Nice job Brad.  Good looking bow.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2017, 10:44:42 pm »
Great bow Brad. I have learned a lot from your posts, and consider you to be a well respected mentor of mine. I'm sure Jeff will be very pleased with it. Hopefully he can use it to help increase the growing popularity of selfbows.
I have shot recurves for close to 45 years before getting the selfbow bug about 5 years ago, and have decided there is not a better class of archers around, proven once again by your generosity.

Offline loon

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2017, 02:26:59 am »
Awesome performance out of that one  :o

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: osage deer hide backed for Jeffer, added qoutes from Jeffer after shooting
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2017, 10:39:52 pm »
a few quotes from Jeffer,, I was really holding my breath till he shot it,,    :) 

"Okay so not surprisingly the bow shoots where I'm looking."        "I just wanted to let everyone know how it's going so far. It's a wonderful bow!! I'll be sure to make some videos about this bow after I play with it for a while and get use to it more."                                                                                                                                                         
    "The first several shots I took with it were all over the map. hehe I had to get the "feel" of it. Play with the brace height, arrows, etc. I expected that though because it's a totally new style of bow for me to shoot. I don't think it's going to take very long to develop a nice comfort level with this bow though. It is definitely going to be a performer. I was noticing that when I missed it was definitely the shooter, not the bow. When I shot well with good form the bow recognizes it and performs. Heck it's almost like the bow has a will of it's own and speaks during the shot, "you can do better than that". Shot with good form and I seemed to get, "yeah, now we're talk'n" from the bow. Love it!  "

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: osage deer hide backed for Jeffer, added qoutes from Jeffer after shooting
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 08:33:19 am »
Good deal.Nice to get feed back but I'm sure you knew it would perform well too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed