Author Topic: What to do with this stave?  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Loope

What to do with this stave?
« on: January 07, 2017, 08:59:16 pm »
I cut some persimmon last spring, and started debarking today.  This tree was in my front yard, but close enough to the road at the corner of the lot.  My next door neighbor at the time ran a small business out of his house and had weekly deliveries with a tractor trailer.  The scar on this stave is where the top of the trailer hit the tree while cutting the corner too close turning into my neighbor's drive.

I thought about cutting the stave below the scar and making a short bendy handle.  From the looks of the scar, I may get about 55 inches of clear wood, which makes it too short for my draw length, about 30 inches.  Other option would be to chase a ring down below the scar.  This would give me plenty of length, but I wonder about the integrity of the wood beneath that scar. 

What do you guys think?  Should I go for full length or have fun trying to learn to shoot a short draw pulling to my chest?

Michael

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: What to do with this stave?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 09:33:14 pm »
I'm thinking before I tried chasing a ring below from the end I'd just try to see what a ring looked like under the scar probably nothing to lose. If it's good there maybe you could good full length, if not then short draw bendy.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 09:44:43 pm »
I would cut it off below the scar and make a kids bow
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline scp

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 01:18:10 am »
I would rather attach siyahs than chase a ring.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 03:01:16 am »
+1 on the siyahs.

I always forget that option, but I think I have stave that would benefit from that design in the on deck circle at this very moment.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline DuBois

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 11:17:14 am »
How much length do you have on either side of the scar?
Could it fall in the handle?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 12:41:54 pm »
That scar has rotten wood in it. You'll have to get below the scar, too sound wood to have a reliable stave.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Loope

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 01:05:43 pm »
I should also have added that I don't have a shortage of staves... so I don't have to use this, just wondering if I can.

The scar is near one end, so no way to put it in the handle.  If I cut off the scar back to sound wood, I would have about 54 or 55 inches, not enough for a bow for me, but enough to make billets.    But it is just narrow enough that I would have to split perfectly or get nothing.

Pat, I think you really highlighted what I was feeling, that I would need to get deep enough into the stave for good wood.

I have never done siyahs, so that thought never occurred to me.

Out of curiosity, I may start chasing at the scar end to see just how deep I have to go to hit good wood, but I am liking the idea of trying my first siyah bow.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 01:11:50 pm »
persimmon is one wood I would love to try someday. Good luck on some siyahs  8)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 01:58:06 pm »
I should also have added that I don't have a shortage of staves... so I don't have to use this, just wondering if I can.
Out of curiosity, I may start chasing at the scar end to see just how deep I have to go to hit good wood, but I am liking the idea of trying my first siyah bow.

I have no experience about persimmon, but I would try to do like you suggested!
If it is ring porous, you could chase an intact ring over the whole length ...
Simon
Bavaria, Germany