Author Topic: Check out this old osage!  (Read 2844 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Check out this old osage!
« on: January 03, 2017, 05:34:49 pm »
This 70" long log was cut from the base of a hedgerow tree, thrown on the ground, and left for dead  :o. I found it today and brought it home in loving arms. All of the sapwood has rotted away. It must have been laying for decades. As you can see from the pics there are longitudinal weathering checks along the surface, but I don't think the run that deep. The diameter of the log/heartwood was about 5-6" before I split it. Do you think this wood has the chance to become a bow/bows?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Check out this old osage!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 05:35:18 pm »
one more
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 06:00:35 pm »
 All kinds of examples of Osage lying on the ground forever and still making  great bows.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 06:03:58 pm »
If you can get below the cracks that should make some great bows.  You can even work around some checks as long as they don't run off the side of the limbs.  Check out this log I found a while back.  Pearly made me a sweet bow out of it a few months after I cut it. 

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,54827.0.html
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 06:18:19 pm »
Nice find hope you get a couple nice bows
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 06:23:19 pm »
If you can get below the cracks that should make some great bows.  You can even work around some checks as long as they don't run off the side of the limbs.  Check out this log I found a while back.  Pearly made me a sweet bow out of it a few months after I cut it. 

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,54827.0.html

Nice! Now that's encouraging! This log was very heavy as well. I knew as soon as I picked it up that it was osage.

I chased one of the thicker rings on the most severely checked stave (I got 4 from the log) and those checks are still there. From what I understand this may not be a problem. It sure is shiny and golden under there!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 08:19:25 pm by upstatenybowyer »

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 08:16:31 pm »
I see some bows in there :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 08:52:25 pm »
There are bows in those staves. Be sure to seal the back and ends well and soon. That wood has moisture in it it picked up from the ground and will check more if not sealed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 09:16:40 pm »
great find!

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 09:40:09 pm »
Did you find that in New York? I wasn't aware it grew here.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 09:47:35 pm »
There are bows in those staves. Be sure to seal the back and ends well and soon. That wood has moisture in it it picked up from the ground and will check more if not sealed.

Wow. Thank you sir.  ;) I would never have thought about that.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 09:52:56 pm »
Did you find that in New York? I wasn't aware it grew here.

It does indeed. I have found it where...

a hedgerow still exists (these are quite few and far between)
a hedgerow used to exist and someone left a tree or two
it is planted as an urban/suburban tree due to it's pollution/drought tolerance (there is a hybrid that bears no fruit or thorns)

Familiarize yourself with what the tree looks like (in all 4 seasons) and when you're out driving around in the country keep your eyes open! I have asked many landowners if I could take dead stuff away and have yet to be denied.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 10:07:19 pm »
Dead osage usually makes a great bow.  Paul Semp really likes to use that stuff.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 12:33:10 am »
That's the good stuff there!  Definitely seal it and put it up for a year or so to dry. It'll be worth the wait.  Josh

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 05:27:24 am »
That's encouraging, if it is in your neck of the woods there should be some in mine, I'm about an hour/hour and a half away from you depending on which side of Rochester you live. One would think if someone planted it there someone might have planted it around here too..next thing you will be telling me you have a score of yew growing acrossed the street!! Is there yew in New York?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 05:31:16 am by MulchMaker »