Author Topic: Should I back this ?  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Should I back this ?
« on: January 01, 2017, 06:05:57 am »
Hi Fellas  I have this Pin knot right on the edge of the limb there was no way to lay out this stave to get around it & didn't have enought wood to leave more it was a very narrow stave & was lucky to get 1 1/4 in width this is a parallel limb design and the knot is just after mid limb where the limb will start to tapper  any advice Please ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Should I back this ?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 07:00:57 am »
Did you cut through the growth ring on that pin knot?  If you followed the ring around it I wouldn't back it.  When you round the edges on the back you will remove part of that knot.  I don't pay much attention to them on osage bows.  Here is one I built in 2013.  It has a few pin knots right on the edge of the limbs.  This has been my go to hunting and target bow for the last 3 years.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 07:41:06 am »
Thanks Clint no I didn't cut threw it ,it's in the same ring  normally I try to leave a little extra wood or go around never had one on the edge before .
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 07:41:16 am »
It looks like you have violated the ring at that pin knot. But I would go without backing if all other areas are intact.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 09:22:56 am »
I have pins on the edge of a limb often, never had one fail.

This bow has 5 different pin clusters on the edges and has been my #1 bow for several years.