Author Topic: violating a back ?  (Read 12314 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Re: violating a back ?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 01:20:11 pm »
Here is a pic of a osage stave being chased the foward part of the stave is a clear unviolated chased ring , in the back you can clearly see how the late wood early wood stacks up & it would look the same under the foward ring so any thing that penetrates that ring to another layer would be a violation. Hickory normaly doesent need a chased ring you just use the ring under the bark as your back  like most white woods.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2016, 01:52:54 pm »
Outlaw, Stick Bender,
Thanks fir the info.  I bookmarked that build along to use when I get the urge too make sawdust. After I find my round tuit, and a good piece of hickory, which is sort of hard to come by in the high country    If I screw it up, at least the grilled steak will taste good :)   Of course, every first bow comes out perfect with beginners luck:) Lol!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2016, 04:12:29 pm »
I think Bubba has a how to with a pyramid white wood bow over in the how to section also , hard to go wrong with hickory on your first bow.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2016, 05:28:22 pm »
nice photo Stick Bender,, that shows the rings very clearly,,

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2016, 10:20:06 pm »
Nice photo of the process, stickbender. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2016, 10:26:45 pm »
This brings up a question I've always wondered......How do you chase a ring? in the above picture, are you pulling the draw knife towards you? or are you turning the stave around and pulling the knife towards you?  I'm always working the knife away from the finished ring, not towards it.
Dbar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2016, 10:41:11 pm »
I have better luck pulling into the fresh ring. So essentially how the picture is. If I rotate and pull into they upper rings I end up with tear outs more frequently. I'll work in sections about 6-12" long. And work my way down the stave. Depending on how deep I go it takes from 15-45 minutes. I hog away to the ring above the one I want, then slow down for the cleanup and make a lot of use of a scraper. On the last ring I will remove the late growth with the draw knife, so it just reveals the crunvly early growth. Then I take the scraper to the crumbly wood to clean it up. Doing like that I rarely damage the back ring anymore, unless I get distracted while chasing the ring. Which seems to happen pretty easy.

Kyle

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2016, 10:45:41 pm »
This brings up a question I've always wondered......How do you chase a ring? in the above picture, are you pulling the draw knife towards you? or are you turning the stave around and pulling the knife towards you?  I'm always working the knife away from the finished ring, not towards it.
Dbar

I chase my rings the same way as the Dancing Bear
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2016, 10:58:19 pm »
Yep there is more than one way to skin a cat... :)
I have found especially on osage, if it's a clean stave and decent ring thickness, that the tear outs never go below the early growth ring below the one I'm chasing....I can chase a ring and leave the early ring on to be removed with a scraper....
I guess it is whatever you get use to...I find doing it your way I tend to dig deep into the late or summer ring .............thanks for you reply, wonder what others do.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2016, 11:07:44 pm »
I push away from me with my Swedish push knife. I get close and then scrape away either with the same push knife or my cooper's tools. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DavidV

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2016, 11:14:18 pm »
I do it the same as you Danzn Bar, it doesn't really tear out since I stop as soon as I get to the early wood. Then I just clean off the early wood layer with a scraper.
Springfield, MO

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2016, 06:50:19 am »
I usually pull into the fresh ring also on most staves but had a 15 year old sapling stave this year that had like iron rings with epoxy for early wood had to change direction many times I guess it depends on the stave.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2016, 08:03:49 am »
I start in the middle and work out, then flip and work from center out again. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2016, 11:21:02 am »
For you guys that are asking about ring violation here is another pic of the one Im chasing this morning with the rings more spread out if you look at that area where the pin knots are you can see the grain is swerling around those knots those can be dangerious areas for tear out and I only use scrapers in those to avoid violations, Merry Xmas to every body !

Offline Badger

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2016, 12:06:58 pm »
  I do my best to locate the highest ring and start from that point taking off one ring at a time. Chasing rings has to be one of the most relaxing things I do now days.