Author Topic: Supply trade?  (Read 4288 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Supply trade?
« on: December 20, 2016, 10:03:54 am »
I posted this in the campfire but not everyone checks out that section so I'm posting it here as well.

What if we did a supply trade?  It could be open to staves, arrow shafts, snake skins, feathers, rawhide backing strips, string material, furs, knapping rock, knife steel or handle material, leather, earth pigments, overlay material, etc.   Once you get your persons name you would have to do a little research to see what interests they have.  It might be fun to give and receive some different supplies that we don't normally use.  This might be easier to get some overseas members involved since the shipping won't be to to bad on smaller items.    Of course we would have to be mindful of the laws of shipping animal parts to foreign countries.  We can wait until after the new year when things calm down from the holidays. 

I'm open for suggestions on rules or how to organize it if we get enough interest.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline willie

Re: Supply trade?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 12:20:42 pm »
Any ideas how it would be organized?  Most folks have something that others are looking for, but do not know that the "want" exists.

It might work well to be able to post "looking for" entries, somehow.....

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 12:31:18 pm »
When you sign up you could list your interests.  I don't think making a wish list is a good idea.  Part of the fun is researching what your guy is interested in and trying to find something that they will be able to use.

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 01:03:40 pm »
umm ok, still not sure how it would be organized, though. Does "your guy" get named in a hat drawing? 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 01:28:14 pm »
I would think so.  Like I said, I'm open for ideas and suggestions on how to organize it.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 01:35:20 pm »
I think it's a great idea. There are lots of things that I wouldn't use, only because o don't have them, but would certainly find a use for just about anything and incorporate it into a project somehow. I don't see why it couldn't be run like the bow or arrow trade. Send something to the guy on the list that follows your name, find out what they are interested in and send some stuff they could use. But I'm new to the trade stuff, so I don't know all the detail, but I like the idea.

Eric

Eric

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 01:53:03 pm »
I would be interested in getting in on it Clint.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 04:46:04 pm »
I'm interested too this seems like a fun one :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 09:12:56 pm »
Clint, I think if you want to make it simple, I'd just start a post and list what your interests were and what all you have to part with and then let everybody else do the same. Then everybody can read what people might have and  contact each other. Take the drawing names out of it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline willie

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 12:21:00 am »
I like that idea, Mullet. I could see things getting complex with the variety of supplies available. Folks shouldn't be afraid to ask either, I had a forum member ask me recently if I could find an item that that is local to my area, that I had never even considered for a bow building material before.

Limbit

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 12:59:22 am »
Count me in! I live in Taiwan and would be happy to supply bamboo arrow shafting material as well as nephrite and aboriginal blades. Let me know if this gets set up!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 08:22:52 am »
I kinda like Eddie's idea Clint. Maybe kind of like you were talking about doing Marshall trade blanket. We could make a offer and anyone interested could offer all or even part of their supply. Maybe they only want part of your supply and make a offer for that.  I would feel comfortable with my offer that way as I have some stuff I'm sure some would want but I don't want to be skimpy on my end of a draw name trade. Not sure if it'd work just throwing it at the wall to see if it sticks.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 08:30:05 am »
So many of the items we use have import export restrictions in unfinished form that this seems risky.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 09:48:26 am »
It don't matter to me how we do it. All I know is I'm In and will have some type of tanned critters, snake skins, billets, staves, leather, or something to pass on to me victim. Sounds like a lot of fun!  Oh ya cane too! I do like the idea of not knowing who has your name so it is a surprise when it shows up at the door. I like surprises!!!!!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 11:03:44 am »
I like the surprise aspect of it also Gutshot.  I would rather come home and find a package on the porch and be excited to see whats inside.  And I want my person to have that same feeling.