Author Topic: What about a supply trade?  (Read 2150 times)

Offline osage outlaw

What about a supply trade?
« on: December 20, 2016, 12:55:34 am »
Gutshot brought up the idea of a snake skin trade and not to many people were interested.  What about if we did a supply trade?  It could be open to staves, arrow shafts, snake skins, feathers, rawhide backing strips, string material, furs, knapping rock, knife steel or handle material, leather, earth pigments, overlay material, etc.   Once you get your persons name you would have to do a little research to see what interests they have.  It might be fun to give and receive some different supplies that we don't normally use.  This might be easier to get some overseas members involved since the shipping won't be to to bad on smaller items.    Of course we would have to be mindful of the laws of shipping animal parts to foreign countries.  We can wait until after the new year when things calm down from the holidays. 

I'm open for suggestions on rules or how to organize it if we get enough interest. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

Re: What about a supply trade?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 01:00:16 am »
This sounds like a fun thing to do Clint hope you get plenty of responses
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 03:29:26 am »
That's a cool idea, Clint. I'm potentially interested. Hopefully you get some more interest.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 04:19:15 am »
I'd be down for something like that. Who ever puts it together should be mindful of where the participants are from in an effort to keep two people from the same area from having to exchange supplies. It will be more enjoyable IMO if you get materials you're not really familiar with. Even if we just broke it down into NW NE NC SC SE & SW.

I don't mean to be fussy or over complicate things. It would just suck if someone paid to ship a bunch of stuff that grows/is found outside the recipient's window.   
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 07:32:54 am »
Sounds like a good idea. I am more for giving than receiving anymore as I don't need much and I enjoy helping folks out.  I made a promise to myself to help a stranger out everyday that I am left on this earth and I have been here longer than I am going to be here. This would be a good way for me to accomplish this.

Let her rip I say.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 07:39:12 am »
Personally I'd be interested in different types of wood or stave trades that are'nt locally accessable,but lots of times going to big bow making gatherings take care of that and then a person can look at it first hand to acquire it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 09:10:04 am »
I might be interested but I'm thinking maybe give me a year yet. I still building  my own supply and would like to have stuff to trade or gift at Marshall. There are many materials I would like to trade for. Especially tools, rock, snake skins and different woods for bows and arrow shafts.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 09:57:06 am »
Clint, I believe I can make a box that would be wanted. Call me in.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 10:02:05 am »
Thanks guys.  I'm going to post this on the bow page.  I know not everyone looks at the campfire page.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 10:31:11 am »
Count me in.

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 09:40:40 pm »
I might be interested in doing this but I'm just starting out collecting on supplies and have little supplies.

Offline Orrum

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 10:33:54 pm »
I too am just starting so don't have much.
Knapping....If your hobby does not consume you then you have no hobby.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 11:02:48 pm »
Sounds like you fellas need to get your harvest and gather on. I like to collect shafting material in the winter. The R.O. dogwood is easy to spot when all you can see is the red bark. Seeing large stands of straight sapling shoots is also way easier minus foliage. I keep my pruning shears in the glove box because I often spot future arrows while driving around.  Some say not to cut staves in the winter, but I do anyway. The bark is a bit clingy, but it can be dealt with.

This time of year is also good for acquiring hides. Most deer processors will sell them to you for $5 or so, depending on what their other buyers pay. They will usually let you raid the scrap bin for bones and sinew too. If you know a trapper, I'm sure it would take much to overbid the current fur buyers' offers

Good luck in your searching.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 08:04:11 am »
All good info there Dakota Kid. I'm starting to get a good supply of stuff and probably could get in trade. I have plans for most of what I have and it is seasoned now. I would be interested but probably better prepared in a year. I don't want to get skimpy on my end of the trade.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 09:19:52 am »
Sounds like fun Clint.