Author Topic: Questions about quivers  (Read 4160 times)

Offline Boyar Grigoriy

Questions about quivers
« on: December 18, 2016, 12:48:12 am »
I don't know if this is where this post goes as I didn't see a forum heading for quivers.

Quick set up: I'm a re-enactor in the SCA who is doing his best to recreate how a 1400s Russian archer would look and what his archery kit and skills would be like. I found very few pics of their equipment and most of these were artists renditions or those found in Osprey books.
From what I have seen, like much in Russia at the time was heavily influence by their vile Mongol overlords. So bow cases and quivers were of a similar make to Mongols with Russian decorations on them.
 I was wondering if anyone here knew how the Mongols made their quivers and bow cases. I can do a bit of leather work (not professional at all, but good enough IMHO) so all I would need is an idea of how they made them so that I can try to do it myself. (no one sells them online that I can find)

Are the sides leather over 2 inch wide wood frame along the string and handle edges? If anyone could point me in the right direction please....

Offline Buck67

Re: Questions about quivers
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 06:33:59 am »
check out Magyar quiver on YouTube.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 12:51:20 pm »
The few archaeology papers I have read suggest Magyar/Hungarian horn bows and equipment are the most likely influence.  From what I have read, there could also have been a heavy artistic influence from Scandinavia but as I understand it, the development of art, culture and weapons in this period is being heavily debated at the moment and artifacts are somewhat limited in number and from a slightly earlier period (11th to 13th centuries?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 01:05:22 pm »
You probably have already done this, but does ushkuyniki archer and Novgorod help as a search term?

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 12:41:12 pm »
Also there are a few chinese makers that sell both mongol and magyar style quivers, go to aliexpress and search leather quiver, you'll have to scroll through a lot but you'll find them (their search sucks, sorry).

Oh, and welcome fellow SCAdian, there are several of us on here.