Author Topic: off center handle (?)  (Read 4990 times)

nsherve

off center handle (?)
« on: December 12, 2016, 09:58:58 pm »
Is there an issue with doing a handle making the arrowpass directly on center (or as close as you can get it)? Not the whole handle/grip, just where the arrow will pass. It seems that the spine of the arrow wouldn't matter as much...

Offline PatM

Re: off center handle (?)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 10:01:53 pm »
Only if you structurally weaken the handle more than it can cope with.

nsherve

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 10:07:11 pm »
What would cause it to weaken?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 10:33:26 pm »
I like to cut mine close to center shoot. What could make it weaker is not having a thick enough handle. If your going to make it narrow it better be thick enough not to bend or twist.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

nsherve

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 11:56:32 pm »
Yea, that's what I was thinking....I've never done it (I haven't made too many), so asking those who have the experience with it.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 05:25:55 pm »
its not necessary to make a centre shot handle....not worth wasting time on, just match your arrows to the bow...IMHO
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

nsherve

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 05:14:47 am »
Dragonman, I know it's not necessary, but I am absolutely certain that it is worth doing. It's not a waste of time if I could shoot the same arrows for every bow. It's also not a waste of time if I'm just trying something...even if it fails, it will help me to learn something.It seems to me, matching arrows to different bows takes more time than making bows that can take the same arrows (since you most likely need more arrows than bows).

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 08:24:41 am »
Centre shot does not make a bow capable of shooting any arrow.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 09:01:03 am »
Nope, may help some but the arrow still has to be tuned to the bow. :) Lot of other factors can contribute to bad or good arrow flight. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

nsherve

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 09:10:25 am »
....and, that's why I ask questions ;D

nsherve

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 09:14:51 am »
Maybe I should clarify... by center, I mean the width of the bow, not the length.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 01:28:24 pm »
the arrow must primarily match the power of the bow, If an arrow is too weak for a bow the bow will bend and break that arrow, if the bow is centre shot or not...its not practical or necessary to make a wooden bow with a centre shot....you can try, no doubt you'll learn things by trying ,  but the main thing you'll learn...is not to bother making a centre shot wooden  bow..

'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 05:58:19 am »
I usually cut mine in , some say NO but I like them cut in to about an 1/8 off center,as PatM said you have to be sure the cut in will handle the strain, if so no problem. If it bends there it's a big problem. Also I have to respectfully disagree dragonman, center shot will shoot a much heaver or weaker arrow than a non center shot or close center shot bow will. I do agree there is no real need , just tune the arrow to the bow, but to each their own. :) Some like it that way and some don't. Just like some want no shelf at all and some like me do. It's your bow do it how you like. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 07:36:08 am »
I agree with Pappy. Not necessary but I think easier to tune arrows to. I think it's just depends on what you prefer.  I just cut mine in with a hand saw probably takes me a whole 5 minutes but then I have some more fileing and  sanding to do. I'm not trying to say what is right way to do it. I feel that's your choice but I just do my handle last and usually plan for a close to center like Pappy said not really true center just closer.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 08:48:10 am »
Kind of a rule of thumb for what you want to do is that it should be at least twice as thick depth wise as it is width wise at your arrow pass to be safe enough.No abrupt straight line angles with sharp corners.Everything rounded over and smooth.3/4" wide and 1.5" thick is used a lot with good results for stiff handled bows.That's at the arrow pass.Making longer fades can keep it from working too close to the handle too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed