Author Topic: Bending HHB  (Read 3511 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Bending HHB
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 08:41:01 pm »
Looks sweet so far. Keep us updated ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 08:32:23 am »
I posted this bow yesterday titled Silent Night. It was the first bow I steamed recurves in and I learned a few things. One tip that I thought I'd share. My kettle had a aluminum lid and I cut two slits in it a little wider than my bow. I bent lid up flat between slits to make a slot for bow to fit in. Now I can put my lid on tight. I still put some aluminum foil over top but this really helps keep the steam where I want it.
Thanks for all the tips
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 09:57:34 am »
That looks pretty good!!!The form used to get the bends you got on your bow look pretty good too.
Usually I use aluminum foil then I put a towel over top of the foil too thinking it can hold the heat a little better yet.Radius the belly nice like you did.Most times if I can get at least 1/2" thick or 9/16" thick at the bend it holds after tempering it.
Steam bending hickory sharply can be challenging too.Darn near impossible with dry heat.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 08:13:47 pm »
I like that slit in the lid thing. Does the hot metal from the pot scorch the belly? I always rest the bow on a wet towel.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 08:52:14 pm »
Thanks Upstate. No the kettle doesn't scorch the wood at all. I don't think it gets any hotter than the steam as long as it has water in it.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 08:55:21 pm »
PS the wood in the kettle isn't actually a bow stave it's just a chunk of wood I used for taking picture
Bjrogg

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 09:23:59 pm »
Nice. I gotta go find me a similar pot. Garage sale season is just around the corner!

Nigerian Proverb

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2017, 10:24:37 pm »
You're not alone. I've never been able to get the big hooks bent. Looks like I should just be boiling and steaming a little longer.

Bows looking good. Can't wait to see her finished!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2017, 07:25:32 am »
Dave with this HHB  sometimes even after hour it just doesn't feel like it wants to go. Lately I turn heat up about the last 10 minutes and really get it boiling good. Since I've done this they bend. Like Marc. and Dbar said round off belly side of tips in a d shape.
Bjrogg