Author Topic: Bending HHB  (Read 3510 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Bending HHB
« on: December 07, 2016, 07:32:04 am »
I see all the nice hooks and flipped tips on so many bows posted here but I just seem to have a hard time  getting very much bend out of my HHB. So far I have only used dry heat wondering if steam would be better. Just hoping some of you guys that use HHB might be able to give me a few tips or is this the nature of the beast. Thanks
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Bending HHB
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 07:39:38 am »
Use steam if your trying to put hooks in, BJ. If you have time, Id just grab some scrap pieces and practice a few bends. Get a feel for how long to steam and such. Dry heat should do anything else you want done to HHB. If your struggling you probably aren't heating it enough.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 07:42:25 am »
I've bent hhb w/ steam lots
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 07:44:02 am »
Thanks Pearl it's the hooks I'm struggling with. I can get the smaller bend no problem but haven't had very good consistent results with dry heat for the sharp bends
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 07:46:50 am »
Thanks Upstate, look like I'm going to have to put a pot on the burner and do some experiments
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 10:48:31 am »
I had no luck bending HHB with dry heat.  Next time I'm using steam
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

JacksonCash

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 11:44:12 am »
Keep us posted BJ, i've got some HHB that would be nice to do some bends on.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 03:57:04 pm »
I will do that Jackson, Santa's workshop has been useing up the midnight oil lately trying to get a bunch of stuff done. There's only one elf but he's got some plans for experimenting
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 08:09:54 am »
Jackson here's a quick update. I did a little experiment last night. The steam worked much better but I can see now that I need to modify my caul. When I get a chance I'm going to make some changes and try it again. So far it looks much more promising.
Bjrogg

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 08:55:58 am »
HHB can be tricky to bend even with steam.  Even with careful preparation and long steam time I have had recurves splinter.  I prep the tips by shaping them into a shallow D section, on the belly side of course, following 1 growth ring and sanding the edges.  I also always use a band with HHB.  A splintered recurve can be fixed with an overlay but it is such a pain in the A$$
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 09:06:53 am »
Thanks Marc, I haven't done a real lot of sharp bending yet but the little I've done seems kinda unpredictable. I might get a nice bend on one tip then flip the bow over and the other end just doesn't seem to want to move. I do realize I need to rig up a better caul system and band. For a band I'm wondering if I went with something with a little spring to it. I use to have some 1/8" spring steel that would probably be good.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 12:54:16 pm »
Jackson I took Marc's advice and went with more of a D profile on the tips, steamed them at a good boil for 1 hour.  I had my caul and clamps all ready. I had a pair of leather gloves put bow on caul and lined it up good then kinda slowly let it bend into shape. I could feel it giving in not sure if I could have just quickly bent it but I'm very happy how it worked. I also toasted the belly so far I really like how this stave is coming along other than the handle area. I might have to rasp it down and glue something else onto it. Good Luck with your HHB I really like it for a bow wood but I never had the chance to get hooked on the yellow stuff yet.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 12:58:52 pm »
Here is the toasted belly you can see where I started at edge of steamed area the steam lifts the grain some.
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 02:50:32 pm »
That is looking good BJ!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 04:39:06 pm »
Thanks Osage I think I might be getting the hang of this. I did a nice one for my granddaughter to that really shot nice. Kinda getting excited about this one
Bjrogg