Author Topic: reflexing an Elm bow  (Read 2735 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

reflexing an Elm bow
« on: November 30, 2016, 08:21:49 pm »
I was hoping to get some insight from those of you familiar with Elm regarding how to go about reflexing.

The picture below shows the bow in question, which I have floor tillered, flipped the tips (using steam), and braced backwards all while the wood was still green. It's 62" ntn, 1 1/2" wide from center to mid limbs and tapers to 3/8" tips (haven't thinned them yet). The bow will bend through the handle.

The idea is to let it dry (which won't take long in my wood-heated living room) in the reverse-brace, tiller to about 5" from target draw length, reverse brace again and heat treat.

Does this sound like a logical sequence of steps? Am I missing anything? Think it'll work if I take my time?

Thanks in advance.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

Re: reflexing an Elm bow
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 12:09:57 am »
You are off to a great start on this one.  It looks like most of your reflex is in the center. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 01:37:25 am »
Instead of reverse bracing the stave i prefer using a caul i think you have more control of where the reflex goes
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 02:30:08 am »
  I would still heat treat it once it is try. Good idea to let it bend through the handle at least a little, at 1 1/2" wide you will need that extra wood to work with. In my experience elm seems to take longer than most woods to dry for some reason. Maybe Mark will step in here, I know he works with a lot of elm.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 08:13:52 am »
Cool. Thanks gentleman ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 09:45:58 am »
I don't work any Elm I cut for at least a year, it is surprising how long it takes for hardwood to dry.  Elm is like Hickory, it likes dry.

I don't like putting too much reflex at the handle, it just makes it a bit harder to tiller.  I prefer a bit at the handle progressively increasing the amount to mid limb then decreasing slightly to the tips.  If the Elm is good then it should keep about 50% of any induced reflex.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 10:37:54 am »
You can  tiller the bow backwards so that it has the reflex you want and then  put  it on a caul that closely matches the shape and lock it in place with heat.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 08:14:32 am »
Okay. I'm compiling a list of cool things I never knew, which I thought might eventually be fun to share. Thanks Marc and Pat and everyone else!

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 07:01:00 pm »
I took PatM's advice and reverse tillered a bit. Here's a pic

Oh yeah, and that's my kid who decided to jump in the frame  ???

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 07:17:03 pm »
Elm likes to show a high early draw weight which degrades as the bow is shot in.by at least 5llbs
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 01:52:18 am »
I think that shape looks good bro!  I think youve posted more bows in a month then ive made in my life btw.  I finally finished my deck/porch so i will be back at it soon!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 12:42:52 pm »
Nice work on the deck/porch! My wife keeps telling me to put the wood skills to work on the house. She watches way too much HGTV  ::)

I appreciate the encouragement. Looking forward to seeing some more of your work. What I've seen thus far is sweet indeed!

Nigerian Proverb

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 09:46:37 pm »
Nice work on the deck/porch! My wife keeps telling me to put the wood skills to work on the house. She watches way too much HGTV  ::)

I appreciate the encouragement. Looking forward to seeing some more of your work. What I've seen thus far is sweet indeed!
I hear that bro. My wife comes up with woodworking projects for me wat faster than I can complete them. 5minutes to dream up, and 50hours to complete. Lol. Maybe I'll get a bow out in 2017