Author Topic: American Beech flatbow  (Read 6204 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

American Beech flatbow
« on: November 29, 2016, 08:12:47 pm »
I've read mixed reviews on American Beech as a bow wood, but seeing as though there are hundreds on my little piece of land, I thought I'd find out for myself. I was really happy with the result.

Despite the number of trees to choose from, it wasn't easy finding one straight, clear and long enough for the bow I wanted to make. I settled for straight and clear, but a little short.

58" ntn
1 3/4" wide from the fades to mid-limb  tapering to 1/2" tips
Heat treated from 1" of deflex to 1" of reflex, finishing out neutral after about 100 shots
60# at 26" (1" short of my draw)

I think this bow would be awesome for a short, stocky and strong fellow
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Stick Bender

Re: American Beech flatbow
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 08:25:10 pm »
Interesting choice on that wood ,how's it shoot ?  I know from working with beech on other wood projects it sucks up moister pretty quickly.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 08:29:54 pm »
It shoots great. I was worried about the moisture thing, but this is one of the great things about winter for me- I heat with wood and it's very dry in my house. My hickory bows start kicking @#$, and the beech seems to like it also.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 08:50:36 pm »
Nice job on a difficult stave! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 09:00:39 pm »
Thanks Jawge. I've learned a lot from your website and posts. It's awesome to be able to get feedback from folks like yourself.  ;)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 09:03:53 pm »
Looks like it held up pretty darn good.Looks like a great shooter.Nice job.
Beech,beech,beech....I've treed some coon up those beech trees in southern Illinois.Trees had very slick bark and a lot of those beech were hollow too.From the base clear up.Reason the coon was up there.....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 09:36:35 pm »
Nice looking bow

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 09:44:50 pm »
Nice bow.  I've made many bows from Beech and it is a good bow wood, better than White Ash in my opinion
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline gfugal

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 02:02:53 am »
I like it when unconventual wood is used. I think more of use should branch out and take risks. Keep it up man
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 07:53:47 am »
Nice bow.  I've made many bows from Beech and it is a good bow wood, better than White Ash in my opinion

The grain in is pretty too. I think it's under appreciated in general. Rare to see furniture, floors, or anything else made of Beech. There must be a reason, I just can think of what it is. Makes great firewood also

Nigerian Proverb

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 08:31:16 am »
We also have a lot of beech! But every one of them have carvings, names and dates in them. Is this a Kentucky thing or do other people see the same thing. I know my name is on several and so are my kids names.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 09:01:03 am »
The only time I have ever used beech is for wood carving , it's also used in biscuit joints for biscuit jointers because it expands rapidly after being glued to lock the joint in. I have never seen furniture made of it ether.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 02:06:22 pm »
Nice bow and it is always good to try out different woods.
Interesting what you are saying about the properties of American Beech (Fagus grandifolia) our beech (Fagus sylvatica) is completely different, very stable, fairly hard and dense. It has been used for old wooden plane bodies and other tools where stability and strength is important since the old days. Not great firewood either, very smokey!

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 02:49:34 pm »
Nice bow!
And like Mike said obviously completely different from european beech. I've tried this wood, but only one time  - no bow wood!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline raylbird

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 02:52:15 pm »
I like it, looks familiar. I am crazy about trying all kinds of woods for bows and Beech is my favorite. Most of the Beech I have used is strong and I can use pretty much the same dimensions as I use for Hickory for a 50 pound bow. My sweetest shooters and best performers have been from Beech, look forward to seeing more people use it.