Author Topic: Warming a bow up in freezing temperatures necessary?  (Read 5919 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Warming a bow up in freezing temperatures necessary?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 03:49:20 pm »
Maybe a little, Ed. But that's the least of the bows problems. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 03:55:49 pm »
Oh my wow. That bow has a few issues, the bad tiller just being one. I would take pearl up on his offer and build a bow worth something.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2016, 03:56:04 pm »
That's not a bow... it has no taper at all by the look of it..
A bit of 2x1 straight from the lumber yard would bend about the same as that.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2016, 05:47:48 pm »
About shooting a bow in the cold.I have and am sure many of us have shot bows in just below freezing weather.I really don't think it makes a diff.I leave the bow strung a little while before going out to hunt in the cold weather.Lots of different experiences and opinions on this.One thing though is as the winter goes on the dry air can increase the poundage of a bow a little.A couple of pounds at times and more.I think as long as the humidity does'nt constantly stay below 30% the bow should be ok.Some woods become brash quicker than others,or are'nt as elastic so to speak.
That ELB bow was not fine tuned tillering at all in my opinion.I would send it back for a refund.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bushboy

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2016, 06:35:38 pm »
Omg that is a piece of dung to be somewhat polite.blows my mind that it was sold.some have no shame.just wow.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Strichev

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2016, 06:47:56 pm »
People really sell that?

Offline PatM

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2016, 06:51:53 pm »
They sell it and people gobble it up.

Offline Strichev

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2016, 07:02:15 pm »
Insane. To think that they actually can make money by selling this sort of things (I've been looking at the prices of their and let's say the prices don't reflect the quality seen here). Surely this bow must be an accident. If it's not...

then it's sort of hilarious that they have a motto on their website that reads; "The Lord is my shepherd".

Offline DavidV

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2016, 07:15:19 pm »
Their business runs mostly on impulse buys. You don't see a whole lot of complaints because after a month or two the bows are put into a closet and forgotten about. Or they're bought by people looking to get a traditional bow but don't want to spend $100 for a fiberglass one or the even more expensive price for a REAL primitive bow.

So you end up with kids shooting a set ridden handshocky hickory bow with mismatched carbon arrows and it's a wonder they don't stick with the sport.   :-\
Springfield, MO

Offline PatM

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2016, 07:18:59 pm »
For sure. Still, in the 15 years or so since that company launched itself right here on the message board the complaints have come in like clockwork.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2016, 07:29:16 pm »
ajbrugg....Just make your own.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

mikekeswick

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2016, 03:34:55 am »
I'm sorry for you but that 'bow' is not a bow. It is criminal that the people who sent that to you are in business. Take Pearl up on his kind offer. Send that thing back and demand your money back- you are lucky you don't have a large bump on your head and have two eyes left.
Rudderbows - you need to take a long, hard look in the mirror.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2016, 04:31:32 am »
I always string my bow and short draw as I move out to full draw before I head to the woods. Especially when it is cold but do it most times anyway. Can't hurt and it is a wood bow so you never know. Not sure it is necessary but makes me feel better. ;) Don't think that was the problem with your bow though. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Frodolf

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2016, 02:35:45 pm »
I've made war bows in temps around –15-20 °C. They held up nicely. Made a bunch of bows in similarly cold temps, never a problem. I do in cold temps like I do in warmer, string it for a while, draw it half way or there about a few dozen times before going to longer draws. One thing I think might be important is to make sure the temperature is homogenous throughout the bow, i.e. don't string it indoors and bring it out on the lawn and shoot it. Then the outermost wood will be colder (and shrunk) compared to the warmer center of the bow. But that's hardly an issue for hunters. Unless you've got deer lining up on you lawn. :) 

Offline Green Mountain Man

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2016, 04:25:54 pm »
I usally shoot half dz arrows on the way out the door on the way to the woods or even loose a few judo's at a stump or two
Loosen myself up,check my equiment and i guess its a way to warm up a bow

I think i read somewhere Rudders went out of business recently
Ive never bought a bow or stave from them but they used to have a good snake skin pattern fabric backing that ive used
To ride,shoot straight and speak the truth