Author Topic: fuming effects  (Read 1553 times)

nsherve

fuming effects
« on: November 16, 2016, 06:04:34 am »
I saw a post about fuming with ammonia. Will this weaken the wood, or will it regain its strength after recovering/drying out? I may have misread it, but it seemed to used to darken it, and can be used to set a recurve...

nsherve

Re: fuming effects
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 06:11:33 am »
Also, how would it be if I put a green rough shaped bow in? Would this help prevent splits/cracks, etc., help it dry out quicker. Or any other effects it would have, either negative or positive...

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 07:00:42 am »
Fuming doesn't seem to have clear negative effects on wood properties (strength etc). Fuming allows you to bend wood without heat (dry or wet).

At the molecular level, ammonia dissociates hydrogen bonds between molecules, making the wood matrix essentially loose, and allowing wood strands (cellulose chains and lignin) to move more freely, slipping by each other instead of exerting tension and compression forces on each other when bent. Once the ammonia has evaporated, hydrogen bonds are restored (new ones). This allows you to make more extreme bends than with heat.

I don't see any reason to use this on green wood. Just be patient and dry your wood the normal way.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 10:18:57 am »
I have fummed several bows now and Its just a pretty way of giving the wood a niced aged look. Just be sure to allow the wood to damp out as many days as you fumed it. I prefer to bend with steam or heat. It's quicker.