Author Topic: joining billets  (Read 4223 times)

nsherve

joining billets
« on: November 12, 2016, 04:45:24 am »
I was just reading a little about this. My question is, has anyone tried joining them with mortise and tenon? Houses, furniture, etc. have been built with this and they withstand a lot of pressure and movement. I've built a table or two, and plan to build us another new dinner table with that. None of them have fallen apart, so it's not too new to me.
 I've never done a bow out of billets before (bows ARE fairly new to me), and I don't have a plan to do one for now... All of my staves are at least 70-75" long, and I have plenty of them. It's just a curious question, which come to my mind pretty often.
   Any thoughts or experience? 

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: joining billets
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 05:40:57 am »
Bad idea.
Furniture joints are not under bending strain. Any sharp corners are going to be the start of splits and cracks.
There is an exception to this where a continuous backing runs over joint, this would work because the belly is under compression and even a simple butt joint would work! It's still a bad idea tho' as any slight force flexing the bow the wrong way would open up the join.
It is no more work to make a well fitted V or Z splice than it is to cut a well fitting mortice and tennon.... the key is the "well fitting"
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 01:18:53 pm »
+1

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 04:40:17 pm »
9 times out of ten,, if you think of a new or different way splice a bow,, its a bad idea,, its like trying to re invent the wheel,,I am sure there are exceptions,,, just saying,, :)

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 04:42:36 pm »
If someone would make a $100 finger joint machine I'd buy one in a minute :D

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 05:11:30 pm »
What's the big deal? I can whip out an accurate Z-splice in a couple minutes. I've done a pile of them, in heavy weight bows too, and never had one fail, not once.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 05:21:24 pm »
thats the point, the tried and proven methods to splice work pretty good,, :)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 06:20:56 pm »
Gotta say I tried finding a different way to join billets and all I found out was how truly enormous the forces exerted by two 3 foot long levers working in opposition really are! 

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 07:08:16 pm »
yes,, one of the first spliced bows I made,, not fitted real well,, I gave it to a friend,, well the first time he pulled it was in front of a bunch of people and it exploded,, hmmmm,, that was embarssing,,  I was much more careful after that,, to say the least,, :)

nsherve

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 10:12:41 pm »
haha...like i said, it was a thought. the m&t would both be pretty thin, also. but, one of these days, i may try it out anyway.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 04:10:20 am »
As you say, the size of the joint is part of the issue, but the biggest problem is that the shoulders of the joint - any joint- become pivot points (fulcrums) for the limbs to rotate around.  This is the same principle as bolt-cutters or nail-pullers - a really long arm (lever) rotating around a fulcrum exerts multiplied force on a really short arm - the m+t is maybe 2 inches long?  You would need a very heavily built joint to withstand those forces and there is not enough material available in a bow-handle; even modern glues can only do so much. To avoid this you need to design a m+t that avoids shoulders, leaving you with a socketed wedge, as even champfering the shoulders of the m+t is not sufficient slope to avoid the fulcrum effect. Ultimately what this leaves you with is splice.

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 04:11:51 am »
haha...like i said, it was a thought. the m&t would both be pretty thin, also. but, one of these days, i may try it out anyway.

Don't bother it won't work. Simple ;)

Offline loon

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 04:22:01 am »
I'm not even sure if Z is worth it over the V splices. Maybe the V splices are just better with a lamination on top of them, like in the horn bows

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 05:01:57 am »
Personally I've never liked a Z, V-splices are so easy to cut by hand, look good, and are really strong when done right. As Loon said, if it withstands all the stresses in a horn-bow, it'll work anywhere.  The biggest secret to a V-splice is to cut a little saw-kerf straight down the limb for 1/4 inch from the point of the V which makes gluing and clamping up the joint much easier as it allows the joint to wriggle into place when clamped.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 07:48:34 am »
...The biggest secret to a V-splice is to cut a little saw-kerf straight down the limb for 1/4 inch from the point of the V which makes gluing and clamping up the joint much easier as it allows the joint to wriggle into place when clamped.
Cool tip...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.